Re: Roland XP50 LCD Display Problems

Post by benbas »

can please send me also a schema for the XP50

thanks,
benbas
Anish Kumar

Post by Anish Kumar »

I am having the same LCD Display problem, that its displaying only the orange light.No characters.. I gave it for repair to a local technition and he says that the Display IC is gone and I need to replace it. Can I get this IC anywhere?. Since Roland has discontinued this product, I am wondering whether I can get this IC anywhere.. Can anyone point me to how to get this fixed
iavsystems

Post by iavsystems »

Hi do you still have that roland xp 50 schematic?

i have a similar problem with my roland xp 50 where all the lights on the keyboard comes on and the screen lights up orange. they keyboard is unresponsive with no text or sound. just blank.

does any one have any ideas on whats wrong or how i should go about fixing it?
younggun

Post by younggun »

You are very smart mr cesarsound.i have fixed my roland xp50 display today!Indeed a fine wiring on the PCB was opened because of the leak of the 2 caps.That wiring connects R74 and R73 with pin7 of IC17B.yeah man thank you very much.greetings from South America.
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

younggun wrote:You are very smart mr cesarsound.i have fixed my roland xp50 display today!Indeed a fine wiring on the PCB was opened because of the leak of the 2 caps.That wiring connects R74 and R73 with pin7 of IC17B.yeah man thank you very much.greetings from South America.
Thanks, I'm happy you solved your problem.

Cheers.
Julio.
bostoncream

Post by bostoncream »

Thank you very much for the postings on the XP50 LCD Display Problems. I did a Google Search and came across your explanations. The manual doesn't say everything when I look at it. Thanks again to Cesarsound.
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

bostoncream wrote:Thank you very much for the postings on the XP50 LCD Display Problems. I did a Google Search and came across your explanations. The manual doesn't say everything when I look at it. Thanks again to Cesarsound.
You're welcome.
Cesarsound.
jybaba

Post by jybaba »

i have the same problem with my roland xp 50 ... {LCD Display Problems}... please can anyone help me solve this problem..pleaseeeeee
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

My suggestion is that you ask to friend of yours that have some skills in Electronics to read this post and try to repair your XP. I do not reccommend a person without any knowledge in this area to do this repair, because the board is so much sensitive and can be damaged at all.
Unfortunately I have no other pictures from my XP50.

Cesarsound.
Obsolet

Post by Obsolet »

Hi & thanks cesarsound for the solution instructions. Today I took a first look to my XP-50 mainboard and found the defective area, at least I think so. I cannot see any damage to C63/C83 but the SMD 682 and IC17 (2nd PIN from left) look as if they were "burned". I verified the area with the linked pictures in this threat and I am pretty sure that there is something more damaged on my board.
Here are some pictures of my XP-50 board. Perhaps you can give me some hints how to repair? I did not try the PIN #3 solution. Maybe it would not help since the IC17 is somehow affected too?

http://www.obsolet.de/gfx/XP50/IMG_1939.JPG
http://www.obsolet.de/gfx/XP50/IMG_1944.JPG
http://www.obsolet.de/gfx/XP50/IMG_1945.JPG
http://www.obsolet.de/gfx/XP50/IMG_1947.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

Analyzing the picures I can see that the pcb wiring on second pin of IC17 and R74 was damaged (cut). This was caused due to leakage of electr. caps C63 and C83, as the internal electrolyte is acid and corrode the pcb wiring. Is the same case that occured with my XP.
Try to re-do the electrical connection between the pin #2 of IC17 and R74 (lef side), with a fine wire, low power solder and a magnifying glass.
Note: the left side of R74 must be connected to the right side of R73.

G.Luck.
Obsolet

Post by Obsolet »

Cheers Mate! You saved another XP-50's display :)
A friend helped me with the repair, he replaced C63 & C83 and wired pin #2 of IC17 with R74 left and R73 with R74 (right to left). Now display is working perfect again, contrast can be set from 1 to 10 as well!

Thank you very much again for the detailed instruction!

Thumbs up!

Best greetings from Germany & a happy XP-50 owner!
Obsolet
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

Obsolet wrote:Cheers Mate! You saved another XP-50's display :)
A friend helped me with the repair, he replaced C63 & C83 and wired pin #2 of IC17 with R74 left and R73 with R74 (right to left). Now display is working perfect again, contrast can be set from 1 to 10 as well!

Thank you very much again for the detailed instruction!

Thumbs up!

Best greetings from Germany & a happy XP-50 owner!
Obsolet
I am happy to help you solve your XP problem!
Thanks!
mtl777

Post by mtl777 »

Hi Cesarsound,

I know this is an old thread but I'm also having problems with my XP-50. You mentioned that the value of C83 and C63 is 1uF. However, on my XP-50 the value of these caps is .1uF (at least that's what I see on the markings -- there is a dot (.) before the 1). Could you please confirm if the correct value is really 1uF? Why is there a difference between your XP-50 and mine? Should I replace C83 and C63 with 1uF and not .1uF?

Thanks a lot!
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

Hi mtl777,
In my XP I confirm that was mounted 1uF caps on C83 and C63 and this is confirmed on schematic, but in my tech understand, 0.1uF should work too, because the circuit is high impedance (very low current demanded). Anyway you may use 1uF caps, it will not damage anything.

Cesarsound.