Roland XP50 LCD Display Problems

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Remodulator

Re: Roland XP50 LCD Display Problems

Post by Remodulator »

I thought some members might appreciate a good quality image of the LCD contrast circuitry before I removed the electrolytic capacitors. Take note of how much bigger the original electro caps are compared to the SMD components I replaced them with...!

http://s15.postimage.org/xq124evuj/Rola ... ircuit.jpg

Enjoy.
GreyFortress

Post by GreyFortress »

Big thanks to everyone who has posted here. I fixed my LCD AND bad audio problems by replacing caps in the audio circuits. A warning to novice de-solderers (like me), the existing caps are soldered to square pads on the pcb that will lift off easily if you are not careful. I did this twice but was able to use the schematics to directly connect replacement caps to the right components. But it was a pain in the ass that is best avoided.

Before repairs, the left channel audio was totally screwy, with a high pitch noisy whine that you could hear follow the envelope of the playing sounds. And it wasnt resolved by replacing the most obvious caps. In fact, it wasnt until I replaced over 10 caps that the noise was resolved. Right channel was ok and i considered going mono. But now I have nice, clean stereo. Only issue is that the left channel is noticeably lower in amplitude than the right. But easily fixed with a little boost on the mixer. Perhaps, once I replace the remaining electrolytic caps on the mainboard this will be fixed.

Anyways, again thanks to you all for the helpful posts. I recently also fixed my Juno-106 because of the help of friendly folks like you.

Cheers!
papakis

Post by papakis »

Hello everyone

I had these problems with my XP-50 too!
I solved the LCD problem but I got a new one named “user memory damage” and since then I have a huge loss of sound quality of my patches!
I’ve restored factory presets but the problem remains..
Should i replace an IC too? if yes, which one ?

If somone have a solution to this, please let me know!

Thank you.
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

The USER memory chips are:
IC12 - DRAM
IC23 - SRAM
IC16 - FLASH ROM

But should be hard to find these chips.

Regards.
papakis

Post by papakis »

Cesarsound wrote:The USER memory chips are:
IC12 - DRAM
IC23 - SRAM
IC16 - FLASH ROM

But should be hard to find these chips.

Regards.
Are these IC's (IC12 - DRAM IC 23 - SRAM IC 16 - FLASH ROM) responsible for this problem ?
The replacement of those IC's will fully restore all 640 patches, 128 performances and memory data storage ?

Thanks again.
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

all 640 patches, 128 performances are stored on IC15 (MASK ROM).

It is not possible to say with certainty that the exchange of IC will solve the problem because it depends on other problems on pcb (open wirings for example), it is up to you decide to try it or not.
papakis

Post by papakis »

Cesarsound wrote:all 640 patches, 128 performances are stored on IC15 (MASK ROM).

It is not possible to say with certainty that the exchange of IC will solve the problem because it depends on other problems on pcb (open wirings for example), it is up to you decide to try it or not.
I have to replace all wires too ? if it is to be my xp-50 back in business, i'll do it!
THANKS!
TESLA

Post by TESLA »

HELP!!!!!!

I HAVE A ROLAND XP-50 THAT BELONGS TO MY OLD KEYBOARD PLAYER
IT'S BEEN HERE SITTING FOR 7 YEARS
WE USED IT FOR LIVE GIGGING AND RECORDING AND IT WORKED FINE
I RECENTLY TURNED THE UNIT ON THE DISPLAY LIT UP ORANGE NO LCD
I CUT THE 3RD WIRE FROM CN14 AND SOLDERED IT TO THE RED CHASSIS GROUND
I GOT A FULL HORIZONTAL BAR STILL NO SOUND NOT DIGITS OR NUMBERS IN THE DISPLAY
I CHECK THE BACKUP BATTERY WAS GOOD CHANGED IT ANYWAY
I VISUALLY LOOKED AT ALL THE CAPACITORS FOR LEAKING AND THE PC BOARDS FOR BROKEN TRACES ETC
WHATS MY NEXT STEP?
DO I UNSOLDER ALL THE CAPS AND CHECK THEM WITH A CAPACITOR TESTOR?
HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP AT ALL
TESLA
gerard

Post by gerard »

hi cesarsound,

your such a great help to us. many are blessed in our church because our xp50 is now working again. i follow your suggestions about display problem solutions.

Another problem that was repaired is "no sound". because of total discharge of memory battery. I replaced it. after i replace, still no sound. and i came to try the reset procedures and its working. now has a sound.
However, we observe that some of the keys are out of tune and after 30minutes or less, the sound sustains longer even we press the keys momentarily. but on starting the sound did not sustain longer. it seems normal but some of the keys are still out of tune. Any help please for this matter.

Your help is much appreciated...
Gerard
gerard

Post by gerard »

Hi tesla,
try to reset for the no sound problem (Press DISK/UTILITY, select SOUND, select PRESET, then press ENTER. Use the dial to turn Memory Protect OFF if necessary, then press ENTER twice). regarding display try to read some suggestions of cesarsound.
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

Hi Gerard,

I am happy if a I could help someone.

About your problem of keys / tuning, my gess is dirty contacts on keybed. I suggest you remove all the keys and clean the rubber and PCB contacts above the keybed. About the sustained notes, also check up the hold jack, maybe you need to apply a contact clean spray on it.

Good luck.
Julio.
Agrael

Post by Agrael »

Hello all,

Thanks for this post, I'm having problems with LCD as well, but this is not the only problem. The sound after pressing any key on keyboard is like... emmm... fading out with noise... Can it be related with that capacitors problems? What can you suggest me?

And also, wanted to ask - "Rewire IC17 pin #2 with R74 left and R73 with R74 (right to left)." Does this mean that I need to take that pin#2, solder it with R74 left leg, then take a wire and connect R74 left leg with R73 right leg? Will it help? And, is it pin #2 or #7? I just didn't understand that... Sorry for my poor English...

And if it is not the problem, can you send me please the schematics of mainboard with the list of all caps, I want to change them all (including the big caps on power input). My e-mail is gbagalis@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!
Waiting for your reply!
ebowglow

Post by ebowglow »

[quote="Cesarsound"]C931 and C932: both 10uF are the power supply decoupling for the +15v / -15v lines, that supply the analog section (Op Amps).

It is recommended to replace the capacitors after 5 years old because they become dry and consequently reduce the capacitance values. If the caps are on audio path, this will cause reduction on low frequency response, reduction on output volume or even no audio at all. I some cases it cause noises (hiss, cracks) on outputs. Other problem is when it enters in short circuit, in this case it will leak and corrode the pcb.

quote]

Ceasersound,

I am having this noise (hiss/cracks) on my xp 50. I want to replace the caps on C931 and C932 as you mentioned. But i seem to have a hard time finding a 10uF 15v cap. Any suggestions? I really want to save this synth. It's been a good friend for years. Am I looking for the correct cap? Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give. :o)
ebowglow

Post by ebowglow »

Anyone have a schematic they can share or email to me for roland xp 50?
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

Hi ebowglow,

You may find the service manual here:
http://elektrotanya.com/

Good lock.
Cesarsound.