Cleaning the keys on my XP-50, please help!

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
mtl777

Cleaning the keys on my XP-50, please help!

Post by mtl777 »

The data entry buttons of my XP-50 synth were becoming difficult to use. They needed to be pressed hard several times in order to function. I cleaned them by drenching them with 99% isopropyl alcohol and then exercising them with the tapping and grinding motion of my thumb. It worked! I guess the alcohol made its way inside the tact switches, and the grinding motion of my thumb as I exercised the buttons must have dislodged the dirt from the contacts. The buttons are working fine now.

Unfortunately, I accidentally spilled some alcohol, and I may have also put too much on the buttons. Some of the alcohol spilled over to the keys, and now some of the keys won't play! Initially I wasn't worried because I know that 99% isopropyl alcohol evaporates completely and leaves no residue. But after giving it a whole day to dry, the keys still wouldn't work. So I opened up the unit and took a look inside. I saw spots of what looked like shiny varnish on the PCB and on some of the black rubber contacts. I could only deduce that this was solder flux that the alcohol must have dissolved and carried with it as it flowed from one PCB to another.

http://img263.imageshack.us/f/xp50keyspcbrubberstrips.jpg/

How do I clean this up? I read somewhere to use the same alcohol with a cotton swab. Could you please confirm if this is good? Or is DeOxit D5 better? Or maybe alcohol first to remove the solder flux then follow it up with DeOxit D5?

My next problem is removing the other PCB that contains carbon contacts. There is a flat ribbon cable attached to this PCB that needs to be removed first. This cable is for the after-touch. It is very thin and I'm afraid to pull it out from its connector for fear that it might break. There is a piece of tape on it and its connector that extends to and adheres on the PCB.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/460/xp50aftertouchca...

Could someone please tell me how to remove it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
kenchan

Re: Cleaning the keys on my XP-50, please help!

Post by kenchan »

wow... wat a mess you created. :D

i use WD40 (spray oil) to gently clean contacts because it does not affect the protective coating on PCB.

might want to go to a pc repair place and buy some electornics cleaner. it's in a spray can and does not damage the pcb materials and evaporates very quickly.

as for the ribbon not sure. cant tell from your pict.
rareddy

Post by rareddy »

Dear God, don't use WD40.

First I'd get some compressed air and blow out the unit. If that doesn't work, get some *Electronic Cleaner* spray. This stuff evaporates almost instantly and is designed for electronics.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

no raredey- im not saying spray the damn thing with WD40. im saying i clean the contacts (the metal contacts) with WD40. it's not anything new.

same goes for cleaning potentiometers, TS/TRS jacks when you hear crackling noise when you rotate the plug. just wipe it with WD40.

blowing compressed air into your device could be a bad idea cause you will get dust pushed into the display...

maybe you should just stick to your car hobby. :D hahaha jk