JV-2080 Part Volume vs MIDI Volume

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Rick586

JV-2080 Part Volume vs MIDI Volume

Post by Rick586 »

Hello all.

I wonder whether someone could shed some light on this subject.

The equipment in question is my trusty JV-2080 & Cakewalk Home Studio.

I've never been quite sure whether it's best to control/mix the volume between the different Parts in a Performance on the JV or adjust the Part volume using the MIDI volume controls on each MIDI channel in Cakewalk.

Is there any difference? I'm well aware of the difference between MIDI controller 7 (Volume - which is what I'm talking about) & 11 (Expression).

I have read the Masterclass on JV/XVs by Sound On Sound magazine and this has led to my confusion as this is what they said in their articles;

Regarding JV synths, my best alternative suggestion is to render such Parts to audio, and subsequently to automate the level from within your audio sequencer program.

Please see this article for further details: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/articles/xvjvmast... - EFX/MFX & Part Levels - you may need to scroll the page down to this section.

Regarding the XV synths, it's a good idea to 'kill' the XV's reception of MIDI Volume altogether, to avoid accidental level changes — turn off volume reception for all 16 channels.

Please see this article for further details: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov03/articles/xvjvmast... - Part Volume Versus MIDI Volume.

What I can tell you is that on the JV, adjusting the MIDI Volume in Cakewalk doesn't modify the individual Part levels in a Performance (that value doesn't change) but it does affect the overall volume of each Part (you can hear that change) and you can see this on the JVs display if you select Info followed by Volume menu buttons while in Performance mode. What that does is display the volume value of each Part which you can see now matches the value on the corresponding Part MIDI channel in Cakewalk.

Apparently, the XVs behave differently.

Hope this all makes some sort of sense so to sum up, which is best to adjust, each Part Volume in the JVs Performance or the MIDI (channel) Volume in Cakewalk?

Many thanks for your time.