Trying to Connect XP60 to a Mac

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
ZekeCooper

Trying to Connect XP60 to a Mac

Post by ZekeCooper »

I just brought an iMAC and I want to connect my XP60 to use it as a controller with Logic Express, Garageband, etc. I bought a midi-USB cable at Best Buy, so I plugged the Midi end into the Roland and the USB end into the Mac. and.....Nothing! The Audio/Midi Set function of the Mac doesn't seem to recognize the Keyboard.

How do I need to set my Roland to transmit? Do I need to be in Sequencer Mode?

The Midi/USB cable has a light for the USB side and a light for the Midi side, but only the USB side is lit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Zeke
SammyJames

Re: Trying to Connect XP60 to a Mac

Post by SammyJames »

You probably bought an M-Audio MIDI solo. If so, then go to m-audio.com and download the approprate drivers for your device.

If you bought a different MIDI interface, then you need to locate the product's name and manufacturer, go to their website, and download the appropriate drivers for your device.

- Sammy

P.S. Also, check to make sure that the MIDI IN on the cable is plugged into the MIDI OUT on the XP-60. And make sure that the MIDI OUT on the cable is plugged into the MIDI IN on the XP--60.

In other words -- IN goes to OUT, OUT goes to IN.
ZekeCooper

Post by ZekeCooper »

Thanks - I'll try whenI get home!
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Sure. And as far as I know, you should probably be in Instrument mode (single-sound mode) not in the sequencer. Most MIDI sequencers are prepared out-of-the-box to accept keyboard input on MIDI channel 1, because it's easier for everyone.

:)

- Sammy
ZekeCooper

Post by ZekeCooper »

It was a HOSA cable - I just printed out Mac specific instructions - and you're right - I definitely put the out and in going into the wrong spots.

Zeke
ZekeCooper

Post by ZekeCooper »

Got the connection - now I have a new problem. I posted a new topic for it.

Thanks!

Zeke