Next Issue - XP60 and Mac

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
ZekeCooper

Next Issue - XP60 and Mac

Post by ZekeCooper »

Okay - I got the connection working, so now the XP60 is triggering sounds on the iMAC. Now the problem is that whenever I play a chord on the XP60, then release the chord a second note rings out, sustained, on release. Not sure what is causing that!

Thanks,
Zeke
SammyJames

Re: Next Issue - XP60 and Mac

Post by SammyJames »

Zeke:

The way that you describe this makes me think that it could be the keyboard. You wrote that you are triggering sounds on the iMac, meaning that you aren't trying to play sounds on the XP-60.

Make sure that the note isn't being carried on when the XP is NOT connected to the Mac -- plug headphones into the XP-60, turn the Mac off, and make sure that the keyboard isn't just causing the problem on its own. If that is the problem, then it might be a key that is physically sticking, in which case you'll have to figure out which key it is, and then look elsewhere on this forum to determine how to fix it.

However, that probably is NOT it. Although that would be a simple explanation, it's probably something having to do with the synth itself. So, next make sure that the "LOCAL" setting on the XP-60 is set to OFF. (Probably in SYSTEM.) The LOCAL setting basically takes the keyboard output and routes it to the synth engine on the keyboard. However, if it is left On, then you might still be generating some unwanted MIDI data that could screw things up, even if you aren't listening to the keyboard itself.

NOTE: Don't forget to turn LOCAL back to "On" if you decide to play the XP-60 on its own later (say, if you take it to a gig without the Mac or if you just feel like playing the internal sounds when the computer is off). A lot of people forget that they have disabled this, and subsequently flip out when they try to play the keyboard and get no sound.

Hope things work out...

- Sammy
ZekeCooper

Post by ZekeCooper »

I went into the local/tx/rx settings and started tinkering around - it seems if I have only one channel transmitting I get this problem, if I have 2 more more channels transmitting, then the problem stops and it sounds normal.

Next stop - Trying to actually sequence something -

Thanks for your help!

Stardom is only a few mouse clicks away!
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

Good! I would like to know why it takes multiple MIDI signals to cause "normal" operation, but it's good enough for me for now.

I hope that you can get some music together. Be sure to place any of your creations up at the "Roland-Powered Music" forum right here at RolandClan when you're ready.

Take care.

- Sammy