Xp80 .. Noob questions

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Byteme

Xp80 .. Noob questions

Post by Byteme »

All
First new to the forums...found it after I acquired my new xp80

While I love the challenge of the new structure, I am struggling looking for a few sounds
I had been using soft synths ok....but due to a laptop failurebwhile at practice, I wanted to branch a bit

So I have the xp80
Works well, and I love the quality of most patches. But to real redo the sound, I want to tweak them , but I am clueless where to start. I am looking for a few sounds, and was hoping if some one knew of a location, fine but if I wanted to tweak sounds to build my own....where do I start?

The two sounds righ off I am trying to build are the synth "sweep synth" in van halen 1984 intro and the Rush type patches. Red barchetta Tom Sawyer.

Any pointers?
Lenny

Re: Xp80 .. Noob questions

Post by Lenny »

If you would really like an efficient way edit patches and look for sounds on your XP80, I suggest downloading and using an Editor/Librarian software application. Although no official software originally shipped with the XP80, here are a couple of popular ones that are now free.

SoundDiver
http://www.brothersoft.com/sounddiver-350115.html

ChangeIt!
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Chan ... ngeIt.html
Byteme

Post by Byteme »

thanks - Looks like Soundiver is an apple product, and I couldnt get to it once I left the brothersoft site.
I had already downloaded the other program Change It and while I have just started to look at it, I am not sure how to use all of the options!! :-)

I need to learn synthesis from ground ZERO :-)

thanks for the info. I spent a few days looking for other peoples work, and I am not getting what I wanted to there so I need to dig into my own. I had some experience with some VST files, and found what I liked there, but I wanted to get away from VST. Will get there sooner or later Just taking some time!

Thanks again for the reply!
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Best thing to do would be to find a sound you like on one of your VSTs and then try to recreate it on the XP-80. Download the manual if necessary.
Tiger Fleetwood

Post by Tiger Fleetwood »

hatricklov

Post by hatricklov »

I've got a noob question for the XP-80 ...

I'm building a performance and so far I've successfully turned off the parts so I'm only working with part 1 and adding an organ patch from one of the preset banks (I think it's the Cathedral sound from the PR-C off the top of my head). My issue is that after I've copied the patch to part 1 and I flip back and forth between the performance and the patch, they sound different effects-wise as if there's additional reverb or chorus going on somehow/somewhere.

What am I missing? I changed the patch within the performance settings to point to the patch in the preset bank. Is this the wrong process? Is there a way to copy/verify the effects only?
brosbrm

Re: Xp80-No Sound

Post by brosbrm »

Hi, not sure if this is the right topic to submit a question. I have an xp-80, just got it from my brother recently. Unfortunately he is not around to assist me. I cannot get the keyboard to play any sounds. It does play the demo, and I hear it through the speakers. But when I play to play a patch or performance sound, I cannot hear anything. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks