SR-JV-03 Piano Card.... big surprise (to me at least)

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
apex

SR-JV-03 Piano Card.... big surprise (to me at least)

Post by apex »

if you go through a lot of the patches and look at what waveforms make up the patches.... there are TONS of waveforms that are on the XV AND NOT FROM THE EXPANSION CARD...

that's kinda crazy right? LOL i figured that the patches that are on the expansion cards were made up of waveforms that were on the cards...

that makes me think that card in particular is not really worth keeping.. (if the waveforms that make up the patches are in the XV already... (maybe a waveform here and there from the card.)

Have you all noticed anything like that (or is my system just messed up?) LOL

thanks
Lenny

Re: SR-JV-03 Piano Card.... big surprise (to me at least)

Post by Lenny »

It is true, many of the SRX-03 patches use several of the internal XV waveforms. And although there is even at least one patch that uses ONLY internal waves, most patches are a mix of both. That is how many patches of the other SRX cards are. Since I program most of my own patches, I don't really care about the factory patches on the card. To me, they are just demos. I care about the waveforms. Of course, the SRX-03 mainly contains waveforms of instruments that can easily be found on the XV. Although fewer in number by comparison with the other cards, I think it contains better quality EPs, brass, and especially acoustic guitars. Look closer. The patches that DO use the card's waveforms sound awesome. For example, the flutes are the best, IMHO.
apex

Post by apex »

I am talking about SR-JV cards... not the SRX card.

SR-JV 03 is a Piano card
SRX -3 is the Studio Session card...

Thanks.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Oops, sorry apex, my bad.
So, yeah you're right, I see the SRJV-03 patches do mix in quite a lot of the XV waveforms. I have all SRJV and SRX cards, and can easily see all wave/patches using my old editor/librarian. The SRJV-09 contains my favorite piano waveforms of the SRJV series. That was also probably Roland's most popular SRJV card.

But your point is valid, to be aware of how much patches on all of the cards mix and layer a lot of the internal waves.