USB Floppy Emulation for Roland XP Series

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
tonmanns

USB Floppy Emulation for Roland XP Series

Post by tonmanns »

FYI,

here is the definitely working solution, exchanging the old floppy drive of the XP-80 with a USB-Floppy-Emulator , which gives you 100 FDs on a 256 mb USB stick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko7m18x-MGQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V9ay0Hd ... re=related

Cheers,

tonmanns
Candy

Re: USB Floppy Emulation for Roland XP Series

Post by Candy »

So, I bought a Floppy Drive to USB Emulator from www.allyda.com. This is a chinese company. First I was a little bit afraid, to buy it in China. When you send the money, and they do not send the Device, what can I do then ?

But it was no problem ! The same Emulator, which costs 250 EUR in Germany, I got for 83 EUR from the chinese seller ! I bought it over "Aliexpress". They take the money. Then they ask, whether the Transfer of the Device was ok. When you confirm this, they give the money to the chinese company, otherwise they will send it back to you. Great Service !

I got the Allyda Floppy to USB Emulator SFR1M44-UN, which is for Roland Keyboards, for my XP-80. Inside the package was a Manual.
After I changed the Floppy from my XP-80 to the Emulator, I tried to get start the Device, but nothing happend.

I noticed, that the Manual for the device was completely wrong !

I wrote an email to Allyda, and "Tina" from the chinese company answered whithin one day ! She explained, how to start the device:

First you have to download a little programm, called SFD_V1.20 from the Allyda Website. With this programm I had some problems, so I downloaded the Programm V123_SFD from the website http://www.ipcas.de/produkte/usb-floppy ... u-udd.html (here called "USB Floppy Format Tool für den USB Disketten-Emulator"). With this programm you have to format the USB-Pen as a FAT12 - Stick with "Multi-Blocks".

But Attention: The program runs only on Win-XP, not on Win 7 ! No problem, I had the virtual Machine "VMplayer", there I installed Windows XP.

After starting the programm 123_SFD.exe your USB-Pen is shown in the Window above. You have to change in the second Window "SFD_enhanced Edition".
Here click on "start(select)/close(unselect) multi-floppy service", to enable this function.
Then write a name for the floppy in the field "select floppy", for example "FLPPY0". Write the same name in the input field under it.
As Floppy Type choose 1.44M.
Number of blocks is 100 ! This alows you later, to emulate 100 Floppy-Disks on one USB-Pen !
Start formatting the disk in this way with a click on "Make floppy".

The program is now formatting the USB-Pen, the number of the block is shown in a information hint.
When Number 99 is reached, (Formating is 0-99), the program shows, that formatting was succesfull.

Important: Click once again on "start(select)/close(unselect) multi-floppy service", to disable the service ! Don´t forget this.

The USB-Pen is now ready to use.

When you look at the USB-Pen in Windows Explorer, there is only one block shown, f.e. "FLPPY0". In the Preferences you see, that this Drive assembly has 1,38MB (the normal size of a Floppy disk).
To change to one of the other 99 folders, you must do it with the 123_SFD.exe-Programm with enabled function "start(select)/close(unselect) multi-floppy service" (don´t forget to close it, when leaving the program). Here you can choose now every of the 100 folders (00 is root, 1-99 the possible Disks).

When you have Floppy-Disks, copy them in each of the folders by using the 123_SFD-Program.

Now plug in the USB-Pen in the emulator in you XP-80 (or 50 or 60).
With the two knobs you can choose the "Disk", you want.
Now use the XP-80 in the normal way to load or save files on your "Disk".

The function is really great, pimp up your XP-80 to a modern synthesizer with this possibility. The Original-Instructions-Manual throw in the Garbage pail, it is shit !

Thanks to Tina from Allyda for the good and quick informations !

Candy
Candy

Post by Candy »

Forgotten: Use a USB-Pen maximal 2GB, higher Capacitivity the FAT-System doesn´t know !

Candy
rpocc

Post by rpocc »

Unfortunately, that method doesn't work with Roland XP-50. As i can understand, XP-80 uses standard floppy drive while XP-50 uses Shugart interface with some additional settings.

Mine uses Teac FD-235HF-A5xx with following jumpers installed:
DS0 - Drive Select 0 input on pin 10
RY34 - READY output on pin 34
HO2 - HD output on pin 2
HA - Density select automaticly
REN - Enable Auto-recalibration (head on Track 0 after power-on)
FG - Short between FDD frame and GND

The modified SFD drive known as Gotek/Kwality TU100K has following jumpers:
•• unknown
•• unknown
•• unknown
•• unknown
•• JP8 Electrical function unknown but in the SFD version it is density select (open: HD)

•• MO short between Vcc and Pin 16 (Shugart Motor On/PC MotorB)
•• S1 short between Vcc and Pin 12 (Shugart DS1/PC DSB)
•• S0 short between Vcc and Pin 10 (Shugart DS0)
•• JB short between GND and some CPU Pin
•• JC short between GND and some CPU Pin
•• JA short between GND and some CPU Pin
•• J5 Was RY34 on SFD version but it connects Pin 4 and GND. Maybe it shunts both 34 and 4.

Also there's several different versions of software:
SFD_123 (Gotek), SFD_120 (original), old "Manager", "Manager" v.2

I tried many various combinations of formats, jumpers etc, but nothing helped to make it work with XP-50.
A3-jan

Post by A3-jan »

Is it also possible to load midifile from the usb-stick in de emulator using de xp-80 in sequencermode and using the alphanumeric buttons?? Or only by loading the song into the xp-80??

grtz A3-jan
Candy

Post by Candy »

Each of the Disks (0-99) works like a single Disk with a Floppy-Drive, so you can use the Songs/midifiles in the usual way, also using the xp-80 in sequencermode and using the alphanumeric buttons !

Candy
Verne

Post by Verne »

Hey folks - I stumbled in here via google as I'm trying to get a Gotek USB floppy emulator running as well.

I have a Roland SD-35 Midi Player with a dead floppy drive. It's a Chinon FZ-354 with jumpers RDY, MM and DSO set.

Any help is appreciated. If I can't get it working on the SD-35 I have a G-800 it could go in as well.
Verne

Post by Verne »

I received some info on the jumpers from my vendor. Came in doc from Gotek systems. Jumpers as follows:

J5: ---
JA: set to generate READY signal on 34 pin of floppy driver interface
JC: ---
JB: ---
SO: Driver select 0
S1: Driver select 1
MO: Motor

My Roland units come with Chinon FZ-354 floppy disc drives with jumpers RDY, DSO and MM set. I'm assuming that translates into JA, SO and MM on the Gotek.

When I plug the 34 pin into the Gotek the proper way, the Roland has an error on startup and I can't do anything.

When I flip the 34 pin [pin 0 on pin 34] the Roland starts but doesn't recognize the USB as a floppy. At one point it was asking me to format the disc, so it partially recognizes it. When I pull the USB stick out of the Gotek the Roland understands something has changed when SO is jumpered but that's it.
de la torre

Post by de la torre »

Hi, I´m newbie but everybody´s been a newbie sometime. :)
My Roland EM-50 has a Panasonic JU-257A 166p drive with following jumpers conected, ie closed.
sw1:Ry .- Ready on pin 34
sw2:Out.- HD output on Pin 2
sw3:D0.- Drive select 0
sw4:No jumper here
sw5:Pc.- Pc select mode (pc/at instead p2/se ,as long as I know)
sw6:MO.- Motor On
I´m wondering if will it be posible to simulate this drive with gotek emulator as I´ve tried almost every combination of jumpers, momentary switching of Mo, D0, JA, J5, extracting/inserting stick and so on.
I´ve also seen on the web a lot sites offering to do the physical modification on the emulator my keyboard needs or even telling me (by a fee) the "know how" to get things working but I don´t trust them.
It seems to be that the greatest difficultie has to do with HD output on Pin 2. Of course emailing to China is not useful and solutions like put pin 1 on pin 34 or shorting pin 2 and pin 1 seems almost psycotic.
Any help will be appreciate.
ahelet

Post by ahelet »

We had the same problem when we tried to use Chinese USB floppy emulators for our plastic injection molding machines. Demag,Engel,Ferromatik,Wittmann,Battenfeld.
We worked hard, and result is our own emulator that works and fits perfect for our machines.

Our emulator is more simply, just max 72 floppy can be located in one SD card.
Only most common 1,44 floppy emulation.
Designed for our machines, but I'm sure it will also work with other devices like Roland.
All floppy signals are implemented, support CP/M and IBM.
Our emulator not having any jumpers at all.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCirwbNn ... UGw/videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vY4bp ... V5w/videos
http://www.floppydrive.eu/

Price is not final, if necessary, can do for you price that suits.
debosotnas

Post by debosotnas »

hi folks,
I tried install a chinese emulator in my xp-50 (looking the info from this post, following the Candy's recomendation).

At this time, I don't have any USB memory stick with equal or less than 2GB, so i'm trying with a 16GB memory.

After install my emulador hardare on my XP-50, when I go to "utility/disk" option, and then "disk" options, my memory is recognized but on load or write data, always prompt "disk don't have format".
I've tried make format userin the Format tool inside XP-50, but "error" message (without other explanation) is always prompted after I try start with format .

Is possible this behavior is related to 16GB memory instead 2GB or less ? Or maybe that is the same behavior for you RPOCC ?
rpocc

Post by rpocc »

debosotnas wrote:hi folks,
I tried install a chinese emulator in my xp-50 (looking the info from this post, following the Candy's recomendation).

At this time, I don't have any USB memory stick with equal or less than 2GB, so i'm trying with a 16GB memory.

After install my emulador hardare on my XP-50, when I go to "utility/disk" option, and then "disk" options, my memory is recognized but on load or write data, always prompt "disk don't have format".
I've tried make format userin the Format tool inside XP-50, but "error" message (without other explanation) is always prompted after I try start with format .

Is possible this behavior is related to 16GB memory instead 2GB or less ? Or maybe that is the same behavior for you RPOCC ?
Yes, I had similar behaviour even with 1GB flash and never got it to work. Finally tried an Ukrainean solution: Uniflash. This one is right now installed on my wife's XP-50 and works just fine.

You can format your flash to any size with linux. I tried that also.
luenma

Post by luenma »

de la torre wrote:Hi, I´m newbie but everybody´s been a newbie sometime. :)
My Roland EM-50 has a Panasonic JU-257A 166p drive with following jumpers conected, ie closed.
sw1:Ry .- Ready on pin 34
sw2:Out.- HD output on Pin 2
sw3:D0.- Drive select 0
sw4:No jumper here
sw5:Pc.- Pc select mode (pc/at instead p2/se ,as long as I know)
sw6:MO.- Motor On
I´m wondering if will it be posible to simulate this drive with gotek emulator as I´ve tried almost every combination of jumpers, momentary switching of Mo, D0, JA, J5, extracting/inserting stick and so on.
I´ve also seen on the web a lot sites offering to do the physical modification on the emulator my keyboard needs or even telling me (by a fee) the "know how" to get things working but I don´t trust them.
It seems to be that the greatest difficultie has to do with HD output on Pin 2. Of course emailing to China is not useful and solutions like put pin 1 on pin 34 or shorting pin 2 and pin 1 seems almost psycotic.
Any help will be appreciate.
Hi,
You can use the jumpers JA, JB and MO. Do not switch on the keyboard with the USB stick connected in the emulator. The correct procedure is to switch on the keyboard with the USB stick not connected and connect it only after the keyboard has been switched on.
Regards.
kvnz

Post by kvnz »

HI all! i have Roland xp-50... So i can buy any usb floppy emulation and it will work?
FJSeraf

Post by FJSeraf »

I just successfully installed 2 Gotek emulators in each of my Roland XP synths and I'm not a real tech savvy guy, so if I can do it you can probably do it too. The first time I looked at doing this the emulators were priced between $100 - $300 and looked way too complicated. However, now you can buy the 2014 updated emulators (serial# SFR1M44-U100K) at Amazon for $25 and they are much more consumer friendly. You don't need to use the optional CD Rom software (it's pretty bad) and the new units are compatible with modern fat32 usb thumb drives, so you no longer have to dig up those old usb drives with less than 2gb. To now format the usb drives, after installation, you just turn on your Roland while holding down the 2 control buttons on the unit and 1000 (no longer 100) partitions will be created, each corresponding in size to a floppy. You do have to remove the usb stick and re-insert it to access the different partitions just as if you were still using floppys. I had put copies of all my old svq files on my old computer which has a floppy drive and I was able to copy the svq files to only the first partition of the usb stick, which is partition "000". You need to use the software to be able to use your computer to access the other 999 partitions. It was too frustrating trying to open the .rar file so I just used my computer to put all of my old svq files on the 1st partitions of multiple usb drives.
As for installation, I started out worrying about how to disassemble my Roland xp-80s but it's actually easy. Just turn it over and take out all the large screws (excluding the smaller ones holding the expansion board access cover) and the bottom comes off as a simple sheet of metal, allowing you access to the floppy disc drive. Take off the plastic insulator sheet and then you only have to undo the bracket screws on the right inward side, unplug the connectors and pull out the floppy drive. Then plug in the connectors to your usb emulator oriented the same way they were plugged into the floppy unit and position the emulator in place remembering that you are working upside down. The flat side of the emulator should be facing up at you. Re-install the bracket and use the 4 screws supplied by Gotek to screw on the upper parts of the bracket. These screws are usually missing with the floppy because the floppy was a thicker device that fit snugly into the bracket and Roland therefore didn't bother screwing down the device even though the holes are there for it. Just put it all back together, plug it in, insert a usb drive, hold down the 2 emulator control buttons and then turn on the synth to format the usb drive. Now you're ready to go. It took me about 2 hours to figure this all out on my first installation but only about 25 minutes to complete my 2nd installation. Good luck!