Reconditioning a JD 800

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Rhetro

Reconditioning a JD 800

Post by Rhetro »

Hello.

I've just made incredible progress in finding a Midi translator to interpret Sysex output and use with my Roland JD800.

In playing it however, I've noticed some stuck keys, and realized that there is probably 20 years of muck in there. I downloaded the service manual, opened it up and wow!!!!

I'm a little daunted by what I'm looking at. Hopefully there is someone here with some experience in tinkering with one of these. I used some compressed air to the inside to get started. Fortunately, I don't have the red epoxy issue that I've been reading about (only one weight detached from a key, and there is no residue gooping down anywhere. What I'd like to do is this:

1) Replace the battery -easy enough. I can do this one.
2) First of all fix my stuck keys -there are only a couple of them.
3) Unscrew all the circuit boards, and clean them one by one with compressed air, and if necessary, contact cleaner.

Generally these don't seem to be rocket science tasks. But, I've never done this before. I'm good with electronics, and don't mind playing with them. As long as there is nothing that involves serious circuit trouble shooting, I'm comfortable.

So essentially replace the battery, and clean the key contacts, sliders and buttons with contact cleaner.

Any advice ?
Your wisdom and warning is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.