HELP: JD-990 and JV-80-04 Vintage Synth Exp. Card

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
JuneauUndergound

HELP: JD-990 and JV-80-04 Vintage Synth Exp. Card

Post by JuneauUndergound »

Ok JD990 and Vintage Synth exp. card. Finally figured out how to access sounds on exp. card no thanks to the poorly written manual.

Question: on the exp board there are 255 patches especially for the JD990, and an additional 255 patches for the JV series. To access the JD990 patches you have to engage in a PIA process of loading the patch into a temporary slot. You can save the patch in that location overwriting the factory patch or saving it to a data card. Is there any way to batch load the first 64 exp. board patches into internal memory or card memory rather than doing them one by one? There isn't there?

I love the JD990, great sound. But to use any exp. board is a pain. Any work around short of 8 data cards?
JuneauUndergound

Re: HELP: JD-990 and JV-80-04 Vintage Synth Exp. Card

Ok, the next question is how to access the non JD990 specific patches. So how does one access the regular JV patches on the JD990? Is this doable? Anyone?
JuneauUndergound

Ok, just for the record I figured out how to access the JV patches on the vintage synth card. Dummy me! You do it the same way as the JD patches. Failure to observe the obvious. Select JV instead of JD. Pretty simple actually once you figure out the logic of the JD990's menus. The owners manual is no help unfortunately!
apex

Post by apex »

I need some help with this too... I kinda understand the concept, but it kinda doesn't make sense.

Can you not access the sounds on the vintage synth card in the same matter that you do on any of the JV or XV synths...? and once you load them into the temp slot... do you lose the sound that was there? I'm kinda not understanding this... Can you actually have access to the patches on the Vintage Synth card AND the internal sounds AND the Bank A&B AND the patches on the Memory card or the BRASS expansion card? just not getting it...
JuneauUndergound

Ok let me see if I can explain this. The procedure is really funky. You have to load the vintage synth patches, the exclusive patches for the JD-990 as well as the regular JV patches into a temporary memory slot. You can save it there replacing the factory patch. To me that sucks big time. So what I did was buy 8 memory cards and load all the vintage synth patches on the cards. Now I have access to all the JD-990 factory patches as well as both sets of patches (JD and JV) from the vintage card in 64 patch groups. I really like the JD-990, so the procedure and process are a PIA, it's worth it to me as this synth sounds so good. With the exception of the JP8 and maybe the MKS 80, the JD-990 is the best box Roland has ever made. I have two of them looking for a third. When these babies are stacked and racked, holy moly, fat city!
apex

Post by apex »

lol. yeah that's kinda unfortunate... i'm just gonna audition each patch individually and then figure out what I do and don't want, then from there load up what I think I can use and "overwrite" everything else.

do you have any idea how much the jd-800 Brass Section waveform card is worth (SO-JD80-05)? I have one that I'd like to sell, but I'm not completely sure what to ask for it.

Thanks.
JuneauUndergound

apex wrote:lol. yeah that's kinda unfortunate... i'm just gonna audition each patch individually and then figure out what I do and don't want, then from there load up what I think I can use and "overwrite" everything else.

do you have any idea how much the jd-800 Brass Section waveform card is worth (SO-JD80-05)? I have one that I'd like to sell, but I'm not completely sure what to ask for it.

Thanks.
Wow, I have no idea on that waveform card. Researching eBay might point you in the right direction though.
apex

Post by apex »

Yea....nothing on eBay
LilCthulhu

Post by LilCthulhu »

I'd buy that brass card ! Depending on the price, I have all the JD-990 Vintage Patches in sysex-files that you load up in the internal banks ! pretty usefull, it's 8 files if I remember correctly, 4 for JD patches and 4 for JV patches ;)

I've just developped a VST-Editor for JD-800 and JD-990 and that brass card (with a good price) would "push" me in adding more stuff for the JD-990 :)
apex

Post by apex »

LilCthulhu wrote:I'd buy that brass card ! Depending on the price, I have all the JD-990 Vintage Patches in sysex-files that you load up in the internal banks ! pretty usefull, it's 8 files if I remember correctly, 4 for JD patches and 4 for JV patches ;)

I've just developped a VST-Editor for JD-800 and JD-990 and that brass card (with a good price) would "push" me in adding more stuff for the JD-990 :)
what do you call a good price. inbox me your email address or phone number and I'll give you a call.
apex

Post by apex »

LilCthulhu wrote:I'd buy that brass card ! Depending on the price, I have all the JD-990 Vintage Patches in sysex-files that you load up in the internal banks ! pretty usefull, it's 8 files if I remember correctly, 4 for JD patches and 4 for JV patches ;)

I have the brass card up for sale on eBay right now....3 days left. $85 us dollars
Georges

Post by Georges »

JuneauUndergound wrote:So what I did was buy 8 memory cards
Can one still find them?
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Just received my 3rd SR-JV80-04 Exp. board and installed it in the JD-990 that I bought from Scottrod. That makes three and man are they awesome in stacked mode! 72 luxurious voices of pure 990 filter-laden warmth and phatness!

One thing of note to interested JD-990 owners about cards and card sets. I have the SlJD80-04 card set (Waveform + PCM Data) called "Strings Ensemble" and it is well worth getting for that C-14 "Horizon" patch alone. What a beauty!

Also, if you can find them, the SL-JD80-01, 02 and 03 card sets called "Drums and Percussion STANDARD, Drums and Percussion DANCE, and Rock Drums" respectively have a lot of very interesting patches on them as well.

Last but not least, Roland put out three special Sound card sets for the 990, JD9D-1 Modern Masters, JD9D-2 Modern Sonics, and JD9D-3 Oz Perspective which also have some very interesting and well programmed patches.

I am going to have to get some more M-256E Ram cards if they are still available. I have two that somehow got corrupted. I tried initializing and formatting them but to no avail.
salsero

Post by salsero »

Please let us know where you find Roland M-256E cards. I have seen a few on e-Bay but they are over $75.
I understand that Voice Crystal have some that don't require an internal battery. Has anyone tried these?
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

salsero wrote:Please let us know where you find Roland M-256E cards. I have seen a few on e-Bay but they are over $75.
I understand that Voice Crystal have some that don't require an internal battery. Has anyone tried these?
Unfortunately, when I e-mailed Mark Wiens of Voice Crystal he was out of stock on the those M256D cards that don't require a CR2016 battery. Those cards run about $100 US dollars each. You may want to check with him to see when and if they will be in stock.

He did have several of the Voice Crystal versions (black label cards/256X) of the Roland 256E cards that do require a battery available so I ordered two of those for $90/each to replace two of my M256E's that got corrupted somehow. They work great and I was glad to get them since I needed to back up the internal banks and cards on my 990's.

If you get the M256D's let us know how they work out.

Best regards,
.:':.DH.:':.