XP 80 will not start up

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Willum

XP 80 will not start up

Post by Willum »

After years of faithful service at our church, the XP 80 intermittently fails to boot up. The disk drive activates, button lights come on but the screen stays blank (maybe a black line appears briefly). Any suggestions?
Lenny

Re: XP 80 will not start up

Post by Lenny »

Replace the internal battery.
Willum

Re: XP 80 will not start up

Post by Willum »

Lenny,
Thanks for the reply. I changed the battery on the motherboard last week as that fixed the same problem a year or so ago. However your reply prompted me to check whether the new battery was good. I checked the voltage and replaced it in the mobo. Also cleaned up the battery connection in case that was causing problems. Switched on the machine and it boots up every time. But I had not put the case bottom back on. Wonderful, problem gone away, so I thought. Put the case bottom back on and ..... dead again! Took the case off again ... boots every time. Replaced the case base again, but tested the boot up after every screw was inserted. Found one screw location beside the expansion bay causes the machine not to boot. Screw in - won't boot, screw left out - boots fine. How bizarre is that! All 24 case base screws are identical length. So for the time being I'll just leave out the offending screw, but I clearly have not got to the root cause yet. There is nothing immediately obvious above the screw location.