XV-5080 sound issues

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
JarreYuri

Re: XV-5080 sound issues

Post by JarreYuri »

genesis92 wrote:the 3.3V is generated onboard with a regulator but the power supply output is 5V ;)
Ok, I see!
Thanks!

I have actually noticed some noise coming through from my XV-5080.
I have it connected via a Roland DIF-AT and from that via ADAT to my Yamaha 02r desk.
A bit weird having noise through ADAT.

Cheers
blueNan

Post by blueNan »

I have what it looks as exactly the same problem. Just bought a XV5080 and a DIF-AT, connected everything. It sounds like a clock issue, it does not sound in my analog outputs. I attach a file of the problem.

Please help... anyone in Germany that could solve this?
Attachments
XV5080_pad_con_cracks.mp3
(714.58 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
blueNan

Post by blueNan »

@genesis92: it is an outstanding work what you did in your XV5080.

I will use it as a reference to take my module to a technician. From my reading, i understood that you recommend::

1: replace these capacitors:
-C79 -> the mine was measured at 1uF instead of 47uF! -> replaced
-C71 -> the mine was measured at 6uF -> replaced
-C75 -> the mine was measured at 5uF instead of 10uF -> replaced
- and at the end the LDO if replacing caps doesn't work
2: replacing all the SMD aluminium caps, according to the picture. Does the unit run colder after that?

3: change the psu for a good one like the one mentioned - did this improve the ripple or noise in any way?

I am really willing to do the same with my 5080 not only because of the problems but the stability for the next years. Please let me know if there is some change i missed... and thank you very much for sharing this valuable information

Please let me know, thanks!
seeyou

Post by seeyou »

Can someone confirm that the SMD caps c138 and c154 (the two caps closest to the spdif outputs) are 22μF 16V NON POLAR?
AncientGeek

Post by AncientGeek »

seeyou wrote:Can someone confirm that the SMD caps c138 and c154 (the two caps closest to the spdif outputs) are 22μF 16V NON POLAR?
Certainly looks that way to me, although I don't have a board to examine, the schematic clearly shows the Japanese symbol for an electrolytic, but without the +/- polarisation symbols.
seeyou

Post by seeyou »

Thank you very much!
genesis92

Post by genesis92 »

here is the modification photo album with wiring if you are interested
I've just made an album to explain the modification
check if you can access to this album.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 8d7698a5dd
dannyss

Post by dannyss »

Do i have to replace the xv-5080 power supply with ECM40UT33 ? Then the static noise will be gone.. without replacing the capacitor, regulator , diode? Replacing the power supply the only solution for this? Then i will make an online purchase of ECM40UT33 power supply
Neilcm

Post by Neilcm »

I have ordered all the parts except the KF33DBT ... when I search I get “KF33BDT-TR” , is this correct? Different from what you listed and I want to be sure. Thanks
corallus

Post by corallus »

I just finished my modification of the power supply unit. This guide by genesis92 rocks! Just follow the steps and go slowly. Pretty simple. Brought my XV-5080 back to life. I still need to do some recapping but this mod made the main difference.

I created the attached PDF of his Facebook guide and put it in order of steps. I added a few notes here and there. You can get the parts at a decent price from Newark.com. You can skip the entire Molex construction by buying the preconfigured cable that's also available on Newark.
Attachments
XV-5080 PSU Replacement.pdf
(14.22 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
Rolando2

Post by Rolando2 »

OK I had to join to ask a question. If any one can help me as I have the dreaded Digital noise problem as many have had with the XV-5080.

I ordered the Power supply and downloaded the PDF showing step by step. When the power supply arrived I open it up fired up the Soldering station and noticed Inside my XV-5080 I have a completely different power supply then the one in the service manual and the PDF tutorial from Genesis. Its a Roland factory power supply but with very different cabling and its two boards.

Can any one help with an updated PDF schematics or pictures on how to fix this XV-5080 problem? I can not find any thing online not even pictures of my power supply. I can take pictures tomorrow when I get the chance. I was hoping that the power supply is all I need to change out to get rid of the Static/Digital/Noise thing that I hear just like the others have shown.

Please can any one provide guidance?