JD-990 replacement parts wanted.

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Elysium.NZ

JD-990 replacement parts wanted.

Post by Elysium.NZ »

Hello. I've recently purchased a Roland JD-990 and have attempted to get some parts through my local Roland rep.

Unfortunately it appears the parts are no longer available so I wanted to ask here on the off-chance someone knows a source for the parts or knows someone who knows someone at Roland Corp who can help me out.

I understand the JD-990 is 1993 but it's such a sweet machine and I try and restore all my h/w to factory new if possible. I'd consider used parts but they would need to be in mint condition.

The parts are:

'Front Panel' : Part# 22225556

'Bottom Chassis' : Part #22815891
'Top Cover Part' : Part #22035454

The 'Front Panel' is what I really want, the others are nice-to-haves but not so important. I know my chances are slim but as my Dad used to say "if you don't ask you don't know". It's amazing what some people have tucked away.

PM if you can help. Thanks!

(also posted at KVR)
calande

Re: JD-990 replacement parts wanted.

Post by calande »

Hi there, I would also be interested in the front panel replacement part for my JD-990...Did you manage do find one? Thanks.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Why are you after the front panel?
Is it just the labels have worn or something more serious?

If it is damaged metal work you could easily draw it up and have a workshop make one.
Ideally make CAD drawing and find a CNC place to cut you some aluminum.
The two of you could make it a joint project.

If it is the clear plastic LCD protector you can buy some acetate and replace it.

If it is the silk screen labeling you are in a great position to redesign the panel and make it unique.
There are sheets with a sticky backing made of very thin plastic or aluminum that will go into your printer (3M). Just spray a clear coat from a spray can after you cut out the holes.

Use your computer to draw it up and test with paper prints to make sure it fits.

Royce
calande

Post by calande »

It's the racking bracket that was crushed to death by the previous owner. I would need to add aluminum where it's missing. Then the coating is not paint, it's anodized coating, as it is on aluminum. Recreating this part at a CNC shop would cost several times the price of the synth itself in my country. And to begin with, none of the few shops I have contacted said they would be able to reproduce it - They work mainly with batch production as contract manufacturers. Shaëffer in Germany cannot reproduce the groove shape that has the front panel to fit into the casing. This is why I'm looking for a replacement part (genuine and affordable).
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Fair enough. A Roland part would be much better.

Can you repair the bracket mount with aluminum angle behind what is left of the face?
You can just drill and rivet it to the face plate or are there screws at the side of the case that you can use?.
Hopefully there is width in your rack to allow for the extra taken up by the angle on the side.
Not pretty, but it will sound just as good.

If there are screws at the side you could carefully cut off the broken part flush with the side of the case and use some angle to make the new 'rack ear' and sit it flush to the front panel.

I made some of the hard to get 'rack ears' for my Proteus 2000 like this and they have worked really well.
Although the Proteus series is only a single unit high, where as your JD990 looks to be 2 units high, I have 3 units (XL1 turbo and an Audity 2000) all together on the one length of angle for each side and it is rock solid.

All the best
Royce
calande

Post by calande »

Thank you Royce. I prefer keeping an eye on eBay for the time being. But granted that your suggestions are interesting ;)

Anodized coating is not easy to repair and finish... :(