XV-5080 control over midi

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
keyboardologist

XV-5080 control over midi

Post by keyboardologist »

Hello,
I'm a new user here,
I've upgraded from XP-30 (still own it) to an XV-5080 some years ago for my home studio needs and recordings.

I'm now considering using my XV-5080 for live performances with my new keyboard midi controller (Studiologic Numa Nano by Fatar) and my Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.

I've done some successful settings at home trying to control parameters such as modulation, attack or release time values in realtime with one of the FCB1010's expression pedals, just like with my XP-30's real-time control sliders (faders).
But every time I do a patch change with a FCB1010 switch the parameters changed are not reinitialised like XP-30's faders, the states are more like global and parameters are stacking with the "wrong" attack, release, modulation values although I've changed to a new patch at which the expression pedal controls another parameter like effect mix etc.
This is something different from using XV-5080 inc-dec "patch change" or XP-30's inc-dec when using it to control the XV-5080.
XV-5080's inc-dec reinitialise all parameters to the patches' default or saved (for user presets).

Can I configure my XV-5080 to reinitialise it's parameters every time it receiving a midi program change or do I have to search for a solution via my FCB1010?

Thank you very much!
keyboardologist

Re: XV-5080 control over midi

Post by keyboardologist »

Any help please?
Should I switch to a FC300 (Roland footcontroller) or is there any XV-5080 setting/parameter that can be changed and setted to work?
Thank you!
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

I know nothing about the Behringer FCB1010, did a quick look at manual but can’t check what it outputs. So
have you hooked the FCB to a PC just to see WHAT it sends when it sends a program change using something like MIDIOX (free midi utility you can download off web) to monitor MIDI traffic sent out of FCB?

Since the manual is silent on certain functioning it MAY be that when you program the “Program Change 1” button/switch to send program patch 2 to the XV-5080, and let’s assume the XV was NOT on patch 2 then for all I know the XV-5080 DID reset all controllers & parameters to “defaults” for whatever XV has programmed as defaults for patch 2. It may be that the FCB1010 not only sent Patch change 2 BUT ALSO sent the current SETTING of both Control Change pedala (1-2) as well as both Exp Pedals (A and B).

Try this:

Program the FCB 1010 on its Preset 1 for anything you want. Then program Preset 2 to change the XV-5080 to patch 2 using the FCB1010 Prg Chg 1 pedal BUT, and here is the experimental BUT, have all other FCB Ctrl Ch 1 and 2 set to nothing, or at least nothing XV- 5080 would respond to (like an NRPN). And to prove it, or not, set the Exp A and B pedals to CC 7 (volume) and set values on each to zero (no volume).

NOW, leave the expression pedals alone and use FCB1010’s Preset 1 to play some patch on the XV-5080 – then change to FCB’s Preset 2 – watch the XV-5080 change to patch 2 but report WHAT happens to VOLUME???

----
Edited to fix some typos"

Larry
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

keyboardologist

did you get it fixed/figured out??