SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II: still worth buying?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Georges

SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II: still worth buying?

Post by Georges »

I have the opportunity to buy a used SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II expansion board.

Is this board still worth buying?
What about the quality of the samples and patches?

Would it make a good complement to the built-in Orchestral (I) board of my XP-30, or would it be redundant?

Thanks for your advice.
Lenny

Re: SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II: still worth buying?

Post by Lenny »

If you just cannot seem to get enough from the built-in Orchestral sounds on the XP-30, and want more, the Orch II has enough different sounds to be a great compliment. But don't pay more than $120. However, if you are only occasionally using a string patch in your music, save the 2 extra expansion board slots for something like the 60's & 70's card, (a must-have), or vintage card.
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Every card is made to be worth buying. Comparing to the onboard waveforms of the JV and XP series, those waveforms bring better quality in every particular case, no matter what sound you need. Even with Orch 1 card, Orch II brings fresh solutions and new orchestral articulations.
pablo_penelas

Post by pablo_penelas »

Yes. It's great. I used to have a XP-50 with that board, I sold it and bought a XP-30, but thank god I kept the Orchestral II, because I think it's much better. And the Celtic instruments are GREAT, much better than the onces you can find in romplers or samples collection.