Noisy XV-5080

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
jring

Noisy XV-5080

Post by jring »

I have an XV-5080 which works perfectly fine except for digital noise in the outputs. Here is what I can determine so far:
1. The noise is not constant and changes with dynamics (gets louder when the music gets louder) - it also seems worse when more voices are used.
2. The noise is present on all of the outputs, including S/PDIF.
3. Did a firmware update and factory reset - did not fix.
4. The noise is still there if I turn off all of the effects.

I have uploaded and attached an mp3 audio example of the noise problem.
Any ideas as to what the problem is or possible solutions?

Thanks!
Attachments
XV-5080 Short Noise Demo.mp3
Demo mp3 of XV-5080 Noise Problem
(587.76 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
sm4ouf

Re: Noisy XV-5080

Post by sm4ouf »

Hi!

I just bought one from the US and it sounds just like yours according to your mp3 file.

Can some one please tell us what to do to solve this problem!

Regards

Per from Sweden
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

I won’t be much help since my XV-5080 is not doing that but I do have some questions.

What are you monitoring and recording this audio with? I just want to make sure you ar\e not overdriving the input on your monitor/recording device.

Does this noise occur on the headphone jack (i.e., do you also hear this noise when using head phones)?

If all FX blocks are off (including EQ) as you say then my suggestion to check the EQ output gain won’t help.

Is this for all or all kinds of patches (user, card, presets, and exp libraries)?

you've changed cables or at least ensured these are good audio cables (with good shielding) and you are no where near any EMI sources?
sm4ouf

Post by sm4ouf »

Hi!

Thanks for responding!

At least my xv-5080 is noisy at the output on the backside as well as the headphone jack. (Haven't test the digital output yet).

Even if I turn the volume down to near min so is that noise still there.

All FX are off. The noise seems to be stronger when playing several tones at the same time and be worse in a (in my opinion) particular frequency range.

It occures in both user and presets (the only one I can test at the moment). And as well in patch, rythm and gm.

My own thought about this is, as you say, some overdrive somehow or a bad solder someware.

/Per
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

In your case can you confirm that you have latest OS version 1.30 installed (old in 2012 but still it's the last one from around early 2003) and that you have done a factory reset?

If these don't work - it MIGHT be a bad/loose solder connection but the noise in the OP’s MP3 sounds more like an op-amp going out. In any case, a good tech could at least do an internal exam to look for obvious issues (blown resistor, capacitor, etc.) or you could try contacting Roland and seeing what it would take for them to service the unit

The XV-5080 (fully loaded with SR-JV and SRX cards) is still my workhorse even though I have a Fantom XR (also fully loaded with SRX cards) I prefer to route MIDI (into) and Audio (out of) the XV-5080.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out and/or fixed – it really is a work horse.
Larry
sm4ouf

Post by sm4ouf »

I have OS version 1.23 installed but I don't se anything in the update history that say anything that could fix sound problems. Have done a factory reset to but i didn't help. I can't update the OS because I have no mediacard or sequencer yet.

Anyhow I contacted the seller how is on Ebay and they have 14 days return policy so I will send it back. It will cost me a bit of money but is nothing else to do.

I going to by another of this excellent modules from someone else because I realy want one. But I should try to get one from inside EU so I don't have to pay any taxes again.

I can tell you in this topic when I got one that is working properly.

Thanks for your time!

Per
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Your OS is TOO OLD and you DO need to update! There were some “level” fixes may or may not fix your issue.!

AND you DO NOT need a sequencer – Roland supplies FREE SMF player to PLAY the .MID files into the XV.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=274

on the "downloads" tab - right under the OS 1.30 itself it points to a SMF loader (and there is one for Both PC and MAC)

hope this gets you going

Larry
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Per

Did you do an OS update or not?

Just wanted to see if problem was fixed before you go to all trouble of returning and buying another one.

Larry
sm4ouf

Post by sm4ouf »

Hi Larry!

Yes, I updated to 1.30 whitch was realy simple when using that pc-software.

Unfortunately it didn't help. It was no different in the sound output. So I send it back to seller and order another unit from a seller in Germany instead. So I realy hope that it's working properly.

Tanks for your help anyway!

I will tell you how this other unit work out.

Regards

Per
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

yes, please do let me know how next one goes. It is just too bad about this one.

I do wish you luck (these units are STILL great work horses)!
Larry
sm4ouf

Post by sm4ouf »

Hi Larry!

The one I get from Germany works perfectly! Even with 1.23 OS but I have upgrade this one to ofcourse.

So now starts the hunt for some SRX expand boards. It seems that the hardest one to find, that I want most, is SRX-07. But most likely I would find it on Ebay.

Thanks again Larry!

/Per
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

glad to hear that this one works!
you will really enjoy it - it is a true workhorse module
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

I have the same thing on my xv-5050. Darn.
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

sounds (no pun intended) like you bought sm4ouf's returned unit off eBay

Same suggestions as above find a good tech or call/contact Roland about servicing it.

Also, while I LOVE my XV-5080 (and will keep it until dead at which point wife will probably put it in trash) if you can still return it I would.

Then I suggest you put that money towards an the Integra7 (they are actually "cheap" under $1500 new, and some under $900 refurb's and b-stock - GOOGLE is your friend [even if it is an evil friend] )

good luck