Midi Filter on XV5080

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
bigfootjim

Midi Filter on XV5080

Post by bigfootjim »

Is it possible to filter certain midi signals to individual patches in Performance mode? I want the Volume pedal I'm using on the Midi Controller to work on some of the Patches in the Performance but not others. Also, can I copy the effects from a patch I'm using in a Performance from the actual patch into the Performance? (I want the same effects that the patch uses in Patch Mode to be applied to it in the Performance I'm using it in). Thanks!
bluesplayer

Re: Midi Filter on XV5080

Post by bluesplayer »

Yes on filtering see pg 164-166 of users manual but is by MIDI CHANNEL.

Performance, F1 common, F4 - MIDI (three times get you to the page to set each MIDI channels (and hence the assigned Part for that channel) ability to receive ("O") or not ("-" ) Volume, Pan, Expression, Hold-1, phase lock, and a separate Velocity Curve per part (channel)

I think all factory preset performances, I think by default ALL parts you put/select for a new Performance set Volume/default it to on for that Part's channel. So it may appear that Parts respond to CC 7 (volume) because by default they do.

FX are more problematic. First, all parts ("patches") will share one common Delay/Reverb and Chorus settings set in the Common area of the Performance ("Perform" -> F1 "Common" -> F5 "Effects" - then F4 "Chorus"/ F5 "Reverb").

Next, since there are only 3 MFX blocks (and not 16 or better yet 32) [("Perform" -> F1 "Common" -> F5 "Effects" -> F2 "MFX Prm" (her you select MFX block A, B or C) you can only have at MOST 3 different Parts (patches) or "groups" of parts (maybe 3 or 4 parts share the same overdrive MFX, or compressor MFX or Flanger MXF, or..) with unique MFX setting. BTW the Fantom XR also only has 3 MFX blocks.
If there is some Part's (Patch's ) MFX you really like then you will need to copy all of that Patch's effects to the Performance effects buffer. In doing so, it means that the entire Performance will have to share the same delay/reverb and chorus settings as the Patch from where the MFX comes.

See

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan04/a ... rclass.htm

good luck
Larry
Mugnaio

Post by Mugnaio »

I would like filter by Part not by MIDI channel.
Example: I have a performance with 2 split, part 1 and 2, both have channel 1. But part 1 only should receive pedal message.
That was possible on JV but I think that is not possible on XV, at least not in Performance Mode.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

The Performance Midi Filter is by Midi channel not by Part, so you can't go that way.
Instead you should copy and save to a user slot the patch that shouldn't respond to Hold
Edit this patch...
On the PC Editor select the Patch Control Switch dialog.
Switch off RCV Hold-1 on all the used parts - or just switch all of them off
Save the Patch
Edit the Performance...
Simply replace the old holding patch for the new not holding one.

All the best
Royce