how to control 2 JV80s using only 1 set of controls?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
p79

how to control 2 JV80s using only 1 set of controls?

Post by p79 »

I have 2 Roland JV80 synths - the point of which is that they each have 8 drawbar type faders on them similar to the drawbars on a Hammond organ. I want to create a dual manual virtual organ using the VB3 software like is being used in the Crumar Mojo or the KeyB.

The problem is that if I stack the synths so that the keyboards are in the right position for playing like a dual manual organ, the controls of the lower synth are hidden by the upper one. So I would like to be able to just press a button on the fly during live performance and have the controls of the top one alternate / be switchable between the top synth and the bottom one. Perhaps using the pitch bend / modulator knob

Does anyone know how to do this, or is it even possible? I would run the top synth on channel 1, the lower on channel 2, and the pedals on 3 - these are the VB3 defaults, but can be changed if need be.

These are mid 90s synths running on GMS and are connected to a laptop via a Midisport 2 x 2

The read online link for the user manual is here:

http://archive.org/stream/synthmanua...ge/n1/mode/1up

and most of what I expect would be the relevant data is in the last few pages re Roland midi sysex etc. but I don't know why anyone would want to spend time reading this stuff just to help out.

My guess is that the relevant info starts on page 197 but there is a section on studio application starting on page 192 which might relate to the VB3 software (which has learn capability - you select a soft controller in the GUI and then move the hard controller to link them. If one could use the soft controller in live performance the problem would be solved, but the issue is that you obviously can't stop playing and use the mouse and then continue to play...)

Thanks for your help!
rcraven

Re: how to control 2 JV80s using only 1 set of controls?

Post by rcraven »

If you have a PC get MidiOx and check if there is Midi output when you change fader position.
Check if it is different when the display is different.

Royce