JV-1010 won't respond to sysex

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
ghjm

JV-1010 won't respond to sysex

Post by ghjm »

Hi,

I have a JV-1010 which I have always just used in "Patch" mode for playing one sound live. For this task it has worked well. But now I'm interested in hooking it up to a DAW and exercising some more of its capabilities. In "Perform" mode, if I use the front panel to assign patches to each channel, it will indeed play multiple parts on different MIDI channels. I can even send patch change messages from the DAW - but not bank change messages.

To try to figure this out, I tried downloading the demo of Midi Quest. It works fine with other devices, but with the JV-1010, it just times out waiting for data.

Digging in a little deeper, I tried manually constructing MIDI messages in Midi-Ox. The JV-1010 doesn't respond to any messages. If I manually construct any RQ1 message, the MIDI light blinks on the unit, but I get no response. Or if I send a universal identity request message:
F0 7E 10 06 01 F7
again, the MIDI light blinks on the JV-1010, but it does not send anything back. I have also tried using 7F (broadcast) instead of 10 (JV-1010) as the unit ID.

If I use the front panel to do a manual data transfer, I receive 648 bytes beginning with:
F0 41 10 6A 12 ...
The dump includes all the performance settings, but no system settings. It does, however, confirm that the JV-1010 is capable of sending SysEx, that my computer is correctly configured to receive it, and that the unit ID is indeed 10.

The problem is not limited to SysEx messages that should elicit a MIDI response. The JV-1010 also fails to accept parameter changes sent via SysEx. For example,
F0 41 10 6A 12 00 00 00 06 10 6A F7
should change the master tuning value. As before, the MIDI light blinks, but no change actually takes place.

In case I had the checksum calculation wrong, I tried all 128 possible values, none of which did anything differently.

Do I just have a bad unit? Or is there some master "don't respond to SysEx" setting and if so, how do I change it?

(And in case anyone asks, yes, the little hardware switch in the back is set to MIDI.)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Edit: I also found a page in the Roland knowledgebase that says the following command should generate a bulk dump of all configuration data:
F0 41 10 6A 11 01 00 00 00 01 0F 17 01 57 F7
This doesn't work for me either - again, the MIDI light blinks, but the JV-1010 sends no response.
rcraven

Re: JV-1010 won't respond to sysex

Post by rcraven »

I don't have a JV1010 but...
If there is a bad checksum the display should show cSE in the display.
rdE means there was a problem with the message - all on page 55 of the manual.

My XV3080 has a Sysex enable but I couldn't find one in the JV manual.

So if you are not seeing these messages then the most likely cause is the device ID numbers don't match.
The system exclusive header is
F0H Exclusive status
41H ID number (Roland)
dev device ID (dev: 10H)
6AH model ID (JV-1010)
11H command ID (RQ1)

The device ID is not the channel.
You can either do a factory reset to return it to 17 (10H) or ...

In MidOx try sending
F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7

F0H Exclusive status
7EH ID number (Universal Non-realtime message)
7FH device ID (dev: 7FH is general broadcast)
06H sub ID#1 (General Information)
01H sub ID#2 (Identity Request)
F7H EOX (End Of Exclusive)

It will answer and the 3rd byte will be your JV's Id.

All the best
Royce
ghjm

Post by ghjm »

Thanks for your reply. I do not get any errors on the front panel, even if I intentionally send a bad checksum. And I already tried the broadcast identification request, as I said in my original post.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Sorry, just read your message again. I must have been asleep when I wrote the reply.

I think you are right, there must be a Rx System Exclusive switch in there somewhere, but I can't see it.
Have you tried a factory reset?
ghjm

Post by ghjm »

Yes, I've done a factory reset. I've also done the firmware update to version 1.02 (though there seems to be no way of confirming which version you're running).

It sure seems to be behaving how you would expect if Rx SysEx was turned off. Or I suppose it could be a hardware failure, although it would have to be a very peculiar and specific hardware failure, since everything else on the device works perfectly.
ghjm

Post by ghjm »

Ok, I got it working.

There was nothing wrong with the JV-1010. The problem was with my USB-MIDI adapters. I didn't think this was the problem because I tried two different adapters. The first one is just a terrible piece of hardware and can't receive immediately after transmitting. The second, a Roland UM-2, is just fine, but works rather poorly when you use a MIDI cable with a broken pin.

With a correctly functional USB-MIDI interface, everything works as expected.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Well done.
ferriii

Post by ferriii »

I think I have a similar problem ...
I'm using a JV 1010 with a MIDIMAN 2x2 USB interface connected to a G4 Mac running emagic sound diver os9.
OMS seems to work / the switch is on MIDI but the editor software doenst recognize the JV.
I checked the midi event list and it seems that no MIDI comes out of the JV. I see the midi light blinking on the JV but I can"t see any midi in message on the event list.

I even tried to connect another synth to the MIDI OUT port but no success.
I suspect there is something preventing MIDI to pass through the JV 1010 - tried a factory reset, switching cable and right now the only way to have some kind of message out of the JV is using the MIDI THRU.

how can I check if the MIDI OUT Is physically damaged ? you guys think it's worth trying another midi interface ?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

The Midiman is a good interface.
When you say "the switch is on MIDI " do you mean the switch on the Midiman?
For the USB to work the switch has to be set to USB. In the Midi Thru position it just connects ins to outs and doesn't do anything with the USB and therefore your Mac.

I'm not sure of what Midi data monitor program (like MidiOx for PC) for OS9 there is, but if you can find an application that lets you see what Midi data is coming into the interface you can connect the Midiman output A to the Input A on the Midiman with a Midi cable and output some data. You should see it return on the monitor program.

All the best
Royce
ferriii

Post by ferriii »

Hi Royce ! thanks for your reply ! "switch is on midi" I mean the switch on the jv1010 (you can choose between midi/pc/mac) - I know the midiman is a great midi interface - that switch is on USB - otherwise it would bridge the connection between MIDI IN and MIDI OUT and it wouldn't send any midi to the computer.

to monitor midi data I use the sound diver midi event list - there I see midi going out (and I assume it reaches the interface cause both the midiman midi out led and the jv1010 midi in led are blinking) but the jv1010 doesnt send any midi data back - causing a communication error in sound diver.

I think I'm gonna try a different midi interface and maybe another computer ... anyway if you guys think of any way to send midi out the jv1010 let me know - right now it seems that midi out port is not of much use :/