XV5050 - Global Velocity Sensitivty (Help ??)

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
monsterjazzlicks

XV5050 - Global Velocity Sensitivty (Help ??)

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi folks,

i have a Roland XV5050 module. i midi it up to my Nord Stage Classic keyboard. My question please is this :-

How do i permanently/globally turn off the TOUCH SENSITIVITY ?? For some scenarios i do not need this facility (eg. when i am recording because it can be useful to have Patches sounding at a 'constant' volume), but other times i do require it (eg. on live gigs).

i would rather (if possible) make the appropriate settings on the XV5050, but if this is not possible then i will just have to do it via the Nord External Control Section.

Appreciate any help guys..........

Ta,

Paul
rcraven

Re: XV5050 - Global Velocity Sensitivty (Help ??)

Post by rcraven »

Hi Paul,
I am unaware of a global switch for velocity.
There is a sensitivity (you need -63) in the Performance for each part along with a velocity curve (4 is what you want) but these only effect the volume. The sound may still change with velocity.

There are lots of velocity controls in each patch and the Matrix Control allows you to send velocity to all sorts of other places.

What you need is a mapping function in your DAW.
You can do it with the mapping functions of MidiOx on a PC.
There some other utilities around that you will find on the Web.

Abelton Live has a velocity mapping facility.
Some other DAWs may have too.

All the best
Royce
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks very much Royce,
I am unaware of a global switch for velocity.
Yes, basically i wanting to change Touch Sensitive instrument into a Non-Touch Sensitive instrument.
There is a sensitivity (you need -63) in the Performance for each part along with a velocity curve (4 is what you want) but these only effect the volume. The sound may still change with velocity.
Ok, again just be clear i want to (somehow) Globally turn OFF the VOLUME reception from incomming Midi messages. To make a distinction, i think VELOCITY (Curves) is more to do with the 'contour' of the 'weight' of the keys (so like on a real piano, the lower notes feel heavy and upper feel lighter). Or it can be sometimes termed as DYNANMIC where settings of :-

1 = very light
2 = light
3 = slightly heavy
4 = very heavy

There are lots of velocity controls in each patch and the Matrix Control allows you to send velocity to all sorts of other places.
Here, are you talking about VELOCITY SWITCHING (ie. switching between two layered patches) ?? i am only wanting to use the XV5050 for left-hand BASS SOUNDS, and i do not use this feature when playing in this scenario.
i downloaded MidiOX earlier in the year but have not actually used it yet.
Abelton Live has a velocity mapping facility.
Some other DAWs may have too.
i use Cubase.

Ta,

Paul
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Ok, again just be clear i want to (somehow) Globally turn OFF the VOLUME reception from incomming Midi messages. To make a distinction, i think VELOCITY (Curves) is more to do with the 'contour' of the 'weight' of the keys (so like on a real piano, the lower notes feel heavy and upper feel lighter). Or it can be sometimes termed as DYNANMIC where settings of :-

1 = very light
2 = light
3 = slightly heavy
4 = very heavy
Yes, your are right, 'Very light ' (option 4 in our case) means that except for 'ghost' touches, the kbd will play full velocity. ie 'nearly' turning off the velocity.
Here, are you talking about VELOCITY SWITCHING (ie. switching between two layered patches) ?? i am only wanting to use the XV5050 for left-hand BASS SOUNDS, and i do not use this feature when playing in this scenario.
Also velocity can be used to affect the filter and the time of the envelope segments. Also using the Matrix Control you can use the velocity to affect a whole lot of other things.
i downloaded MidiOX earlier in the year but have not actually used it yet.
You might also need MidiYoke (from the same site)
i use Cubase.
Can't help you there I'm afraid as I am a Sonar user.
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks Royce,

i have also downloaded the MIDIYOKE.

Paul