Roland Keyboard with Key Action Similar to the Roland XP-3

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
workingklass0

Roland Keyboard with Key Action Similar to the Roland XP-3

Post by workingklass0 »

Hi all!

I am looking to buy an inexpensive Roland keyboard that has a key action that is very similar to the key action of the Roland XP-30. The reason for this search is simple: out of all the keyboards that I have played over the years, the XP-30 had some of the best (smoothest) key action I have ever come across. I should state, however, that I am only looking to use this keyboard as a MIDI controller for playing other hard and soft synths.

Thank you for your time.
dluther

Re: Roland Keyboard with Key Action Similar to the Roland XP

Post by dluther »

Hello,

I know I'm late to this party, but...

I'm going to recommend an older controller no longer made, the Roland A-70. Of all the keyboards I've played, this has the nicest feel, both in terms of the key weight and playability. The keys have the slightest convex curve that isn't really apparent until you look down the end and see the curved reflections. Great for gliss/smears.

It's also a pure MIDI controller -- no USB. It will accept the old VE style cards (mine has the VE-GSPro). It has two MIDI INs and four MIDI OUTs, and each output can be programmed to on/off or controlled with the panel buttons. You can look up all this stuff and find them on eBay for ~$300-500, money well worth it.

The A-70 is considered by many to be one of, if not the finest MIDI keyboard controllers ever built. It's a shame Roland quit making them or hasn't bothered to resurrect this with even more features.