Loading SYSEX patch bank to JV90

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
brofjw

Loading SYSEX patch bank to JV90

Post by brofjw »

I think this is my first post ever in this fórum!

A few months ago I bought a JV90 in great condition with a case, and I really enjoy the simplicity of the interface compared to the modern menú-crazy synths. I finally decided I wanted to try uploading some generic patch to the User memory, so I downloaded a few to my computer from various sources. These were fully described as patch BANKS, not individual patches. I am using MIDI-Ox, by the way. MIDI-Ox says that a connection between the computer and the JV is successful, and MIDI-Ox can also load the SYSEX file into its own buffer. When I try to upload the bank to the JV, and the JV is hooked up to an amp, I can "hear" the datastream passing faintly in the feedback of the amp, so I know the output is working. The problema is that the JV doesn't seem to acknowledge it at all. It seems that I've enabled all memories, and turned off all write-protect functions, so I can't figure out what it keeping the data from reaching the JV.

Do I have to initialize my unit first, or at least erase the User bank manually before a new bank can be received? There were a few patches in the User bank that I wanted, and I was even successful in downloading these TO MIDI-Ox in hopes of reloading them later.

I believe the device# of the JV is set to 17 and MIDI channels are all set to 1, so I just can't figure what else could be wrong. The manual has been useless, and many of you probably know what I'm talking about. :-/

Is anyone familiar enough with the process to guide me through it step-by-step? Is there something I've forgotten to do? Someone please help!

Thanks in advance
MyndJestyr

Re: Loading SYSEX patch bank to JV90

Post by MyndJestyr »

Hi,
I'm just browsing for a similar issue and found this older post.
Sounds like you have everything configured properly.
I was able to backup the JV-90 via bulk dump using Midi-OX which created a sysex file.
I then changed the names of some of my user patches to see if restoring everything from my backup sysex file would work
It did.
I could see that all the patch names I had changed were set back to what they were before I performed the restore. While the transfer was happening, I could see the cursor blinking very fast until the transfer was complete.
So far that's the only thing I have tried to do. I have not tried to restore a single bank.

However, I will post a new thread about a similar issue I'm having. i.e. I have a backup sysex file of my JV-80 patches (full bulk dump). I thought I could just restore it to my JV-90 to save me from having to recreate all my patches. But when I use the same method as I explained above, nothing happens. No transfer, no fast blinking cursor on menu, nothing...except midi-Ox shows the transfer as complete.
Very strange. From what I have read, the JV-80 and JV-90 banks and patches should be interchangeable.
If anyone is reading this feel free to respond here...but I'll open a new thread so I don't hi-jack this one.
Thanks