XV-5050 firmware and correctly stacking two units.

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Lesfuller

XV-5050 firmware and correctly stacking two units.

Post by Lesfuller »

Hello,

I have a couple of issues with my XV-5050 units.
After working with an XV-5050 for several years I purchased another one on Ebay to increase polyphony. A few years ago I updated the first XV-5050 to firmware v.1.08. The unit I just bought has firmware v.1.04. A feature in the later version allows setting "Output Gain" -12db to +12db in 6 db steps This is very useful for final mixes. Does anyone know where I can obtain the Version 1.08 firmware update for the XV-5050? Roland websites don't seem to work for me anymoe.

Issue #2. In order to stack multiple XV-5050's,I tried to follow the manual but the second XV-5050 seems to not receive anything from the Midi Thru connection on first unit.
Configured as individual sound modules, everything just simply works but the question remains, are there any advantages to using them configured in stacked mode? Has anyone successfully stacked XV-5050's or any other XV units? Is someone able to coach me a bit or point me to documentation how to do this?
Following the manual,
unit #1 = Mode 2 Stack 1
unit 2 = Mode 2 Stack 2
Unit #2 only data interface is midi in coming from midi thru on unit #1.
When sending data to unit #1 from my sequencer to either of Midi in or USB in. Only some of the data plays out on unit #1 nothing outputs to unit #2. Also on unit #1 only some of the notes on a given channel will sound out and some channels have no sound. Nothing plays on unit #2. This is probably not enough information so any pointed questions is welcome.
Thank you for any consideration.
Les
Arjan

Re: XV-5050 firmware and correctly stacking two units.

Post by Arjan »

You can get it from the Roland UK website:

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/produc ... =Downloads
Compressed ZIP file XV-5050 System Update Version 1.08 (PC)
This is the PC version of the update files for the XV-5050. Please refer to the readme document enclosed to perform the update.

Note to PC Users:
If you are having problems sending these files from your sequencer, or if you need a sequencer to send these files, download the PCSMF Update Application located here.
If you do not have a program to unzip this download, you can download WinZip here.

HQX file (mac) XV-5050 System Update Version 1.08 (MAC)
This is the Macintosh version of the update files for the XV-5050. Please refer to the readme document enclosed to perform the update.

Note to Mac Users: You will need the UPD SMF Update Application if you do not have access to a sequencer program.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Les

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/produc ... aspx?p=273
Has the updates at the bottom of the page.

The manual has a note on p109
* The Stack feature will not operate when using Patches in which Key Mode Asgn is set to “MONO” or whose Portamento Switch is “ON” (p. 51), or for Rhythm Sets.
Patches for which the Key Mode Asgn is “MONO” or whose Portamento Switch is “ON” will be sounded by the first XV-5050, and Rhythm Sets will be sounded by the second XV-5050.

Has this anything to do with your problem??

All the best
Royce
Lesfuller

Post by Lesfuller »

Arjan, thank you very much for the information on the firmware. I got it and am going to file it away in my archives.

rcraven, I did read that too. The many various patches I use, I just don't know how many or to what extent of them fall under those conditions so I will utilize my two XV-5050's as individual stand alone sound modules to share the polyphony load which will accomplish exactly what I purchased the second one for.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!
Les