JV1080/JV2080 rotary encoder replacement

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Solitary man

JV1080/JV2080 rotary encoder replacement

Post by Solitary man »

Has anybody changed the rotary encoders on their JV1080/2080s? Mine are shot to bits and I need to change them both. Just wondering how easy it is to do?

Just ordered two from Roland UK spares.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
wakerickman

Re: JV1080/JV2080 rotary encoder replacement

Post by wakerickman »

hi cant rearly help you there, except most dificult thing in fixing keyboards is undoing all the dozens of screws, luckyly for me, ive actualerl had exactly the same problem, changing a display and replacing a volume pot, but my bro is a bsc electronics engineer [used to be lead desighn engeener for studiomaster/rsd, ] and fixed it for me [all the soldering etc] so it depends on how comfortable you are with your soldering skills, some equipment can be very difficult to get into and require great dexterity wereas other eqipment is a breeze to fix. anyway but mayby you could help me though. all i need to know is,as i noticed you use a 1080 & 2080 . do you know [as not in jv880 manuel] how to do the factory reset/reboot [not the one wear the display works and you simply select factory reset etc] as the display doesnt light up or sound produced though leds do light up, i believe that my simerler jv880 has had a softwear crash , if its possable [my other keyboards can accordng to there manuels] to reset/reboot by holding down [witch] buttons while powering up witch normaly sorts those types of problems with computerised devices .any help would be appretiated on this problem. cheers wakerickman
my05

Post by my05 »

Hi,

did you order the actual encoder only, or does the 1080/2080 have it like the 5080 (that i have), where you order the entire encoder board?

Its not that hard to get to the encoder (board). You need to remove the lid, unscrew the front (i guess it's like on the 5080 - underneath the front panel) and then you will have to unscrew and disconnect the encoder board (4 screws).

I think it took me 20 minutes to do the whole operation.
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

No on the JV1080/2080 you only get the encoder and not the PCB board. Funnily enough just got myself a XV5080 love it.