Creating real time Sys Ex messages for the Roland XV3080

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
technical2654

Creating real time Sys Ex messages for the Roland XV3080

Post by technical2654 »

I want to use my Novation X Station to control the Roland XV3080 synth module. The Novation allows me to enter a string of up to 20 hexadecimal bytes to be defined for each controller on the Station. I don't quite understand how to set up the correct Data Set 1 string, mainly because the guide (http://www.chromakinetics.com/handsonic/rolSysEx.htm) and Roland's user manual (http://www.media.rolandus.com/manuals/XV-3080_OM.pdf page 187) don't clarify how this is done dynamically, i.e. for a real time controller rather than for a one-off message calculated by the user.

Let me use as an example the Patch Tone TVF Env Time 1 parameter. My questions:
  • How do I find the full address of the parameter in the Parameter Address Map? The guide instructs me to add a Start Address to the Offset Address, but I'm confused. The Offset Address of this parameter is 00 55. Which Start Address do I add to this, and why?

What do I put in the data string for the data value, as that depends on the control setting?

What do I put in the data string for the checksum value, as that depends on the data value of the control setting?
rcraven

Re: Creating real time Sys Ex messages for the Roland XV308

Post by rcraven »

The sad news is that Roland use a checksum to make sure the sysex received has not been corrupted.
This checksum is calculated using the address and data.
As, I can only find one variable, the data byte (DV), and no way to calculate the checksum you can't use a varying sysex message for the XV3080 with the X-Station (the BCR200 does it quite happily).

Instead have a look at the Matrix Control in the patch to assign a CC type as the Source and and TVF ENV A-TIME as the Destination and use that type CC messages out from the X-Station,

All the best
Royce
technical2654

Re: Creating real time Sys Ex messages for the Roland XV308

Post by technical2654 »

Thank you, that's very helpful.