XV 5080

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
alfie

XV 5080

Post by alfie »

Hello I have this xv5080 its causing glitches some is advising me to install 1.3 OS.
1. what is causing the glitches cos i've changed my cables after that yet the problem persist
2. how can i instal the 1.3 OS--Method please
bluesplayer

Re: XV 5080

Post by bluesplayer »

Go to THIS site.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/274/downloads/

1. Determine your PC type (Mac or Win)

2. Download either the XV-5080 system update (OS 1.3) for loading via:

a. A SmartMedia card (assuming you have one) it needs to be at least a 4 MB card or larger, up to 128 MB since that is as big a SM cards were made, OR

b. a MIDI file (the SMF option)

In either case PLEASE READ the "READ ME" that is included in the file you downloaded.

Also note Roland was kind enough to link you to a SMF update application (SMF "player") in case you don't have a MIDI file player, DAW, or other sequencer that can talk to external MIDI equipment. And I just checked that app out - it works in my Win 7 64 so it will probably work on your PC.

Good Luck
Larry
alfie

Post by alfie »

thanks Larry. I tried to update the version to 1.3. unfortunately i've lost all data on the xv 5080 when i switched off the protection.can the data be restored back including the factory settings. when i switch it on the screen is yellow but blank. do i need a memory card to install the factory settings again . help!!!!!! can i still go on to install the 1.3 version. it always reds error and it starts blinking or 'flaming'
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

No you do not NEED an SM card - but you do need some way to get MIDI information to and from the unit (e.g., a PC with a MIDI interface, DAW or that Roland utility). Having said that, update from a SM card maybe your ONLY means of "communicating" with the device at this point.

If you turned the UNIT off while doing any kind of OS update - then you may be in trouble. However, two things you can try is:

1) A factory reset (but since screen is not cooperating this may be possible) however push the units buttons in the order described anyway.

https://www.rolandus.com/assets/press_m ... _Reset.pdf

The very last entry covers the XV-5080 (but this is same procedure described in user manual around Page 206.

2). Also what MAY be going on is you may need to do is replace the internal battery, (ought to do it soon anyway as old as these units are), which is a standard snap in CR-2032 (aka watch battery) - then do a factory reset.

The service manual is here (PLEASE donate a few bucks!)

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Rola ... _NOTES.pdf

The battery is located on the Main Board Assy that is UNDER the board that holds the SR-JV and SRX cards (called the EXP Base Board Assy) so more than simply removing the outer case is probably required. If you are uncomfortable with opening your unit (and factory rest doesn’t work) - FIND a qualified Roland repair center.

I change(d) batteries, including the solder-in type that Alesis and a few companies use, in almost all my equipment at least once already. However, I have yet to open up my XV-5080 but this reminds me it is time.

Please note, I am an ex-electronic tech (not of this kind of equipment but working on my own ANYTHING from tube amps to my plasma TV doesn’t bother me. Btu I know what I'm doing - so if you do not please find a good repairman.

Good luck I hope you get it up and running - the XV-5080 is STILL a giant workhorse. Even the Integra 7 doesn't really outperform it's music capabilities.

Larry
alfie

Post by alfie »

thanks Larry for the time you have taken to explain matters to me .am grateful.
I have finally been able to update it to version 1.3. just like the way i bought it.
i had to use another port-this time midiman. However the glitches are still in. Just luv this xv 5080.
may be a repairman will take a look @ it.thanks .if anything crops up i'll let you know thanks again larry
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

can you describe the "glitches"??
alfie

Post by alfie »

Larry i would like to send a sample of the voice accompanied by the glitch. if you could please send me your e-mail. mine is alfsackey@gmail.com. thanks
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

just reply and use full editor to upload attachments here.

the more folks that see your post and listen to the glitchs may have other/better suggestions
alfie

Post by alfie »

roland xv 5080.mp3
eg of the glitches
(247.75 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
roland xv 5080.mp3
eg of the glitches
(247.75 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
this is a sample of the glitches i experience from my xv 5080 when i play samples
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

yep - digital noise, so now some more info gathering

Which outputs you using:

- the analog "Mains" [aka A (Mix L/R) ] or,
- maybe possibly the S/PDIF (either optical or coax)

Finally, is this noise in the headsets as well?

if using analog you can route this to B (3/4) or C (5/6) D (7/8) - just to see if it makes any difference.

If S/PDIF make sure wherever you have it connected and the XV-5080 are both at same sampling rate (either 44.1. or 48)
alfie

Post by alfie »

Thanks . I am using the A mix out qut. I have also tried B C and D outputs and its thd same result. The headphone is no exception.. Never tried the digital out and the Spdif cos i do not have the right cables
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

Given that this noise is in all analog outs, your MP3 sample is of ONE sound, but I will assume this occurs in every patch(?).

if that is the case, then your unit probably needs looked at by a tech (a Roland tech) could be be any number of things - minor to not so minor.

I wish you luck.

PS I would try the S/P DIF outs just for grins. You do need a good 75 ohm RCA coax cable (aka digital audio coax) and they are not expensive (but they can be - depending where you buy them and/or how much HYPE (aka BS) is used by music stores or audiophile stores you may use locally)

http://www.amazon.com/GE-73324-Digital- ... 61634BQAKK

Larry