XV-3080 (or 5080) - is SYS-CTRL4 in use in any patch?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Andy_H

XV-3080 (or 5080) - is SYS-CTRL4 in use in any patch?

Post by Andy_H »

I'm wondering if SYS-CTRL4 is there as a spare, or if any of the built in or SRX board patches use it? Presumably, none of the SR-JV80 board patches would, because they pre-date the XV series.

I'm in the process of transferring my Patchman JV/XP wind controller patches to the XV-3080, which I just bought. I've only recently paid for the Patchman patch set, for my JV-1010, so I'm too mean to go and buy the official XV ones as well.

Importing them directly as an SYX file (saved from ChangeIt) actually works quite well, if you assign SYS-CTRL2 as 96:PITCH BEND, in the global system setup (SYSTEM button, then CONTROL, on the front panel), and make sure SYS-CTRL3 is set to CC02:BREATH, which is the default setting for the XV synths - that's effectively how they should be set on the JV series, for the Patchman wind controller patches to work properly, and that's what you need to do to get them the same after importing them to the XV series.

There are probably some tweaks needed to the control matrix, for some patches, because it's different to the one on the JV series synths, but mostly, it works okay.

The problem with re-assigning SYS-CTRL2 is that it then messes up all other patches, that expected it to be set as AFTERTOUCH. So, I'm considering editing all 128 patches in the user bank and substituting either Pitch Bend or SYS-CTRL4, where it currently says SYS-CTRL2.

Using SYS-CTRL4 would be more versatile - for example, I could try assigning half of the thumb wheel on my Yamaha WX5 to control that aspect of the sound, and still have the option of just setting SYS-CTRL4 as Pitch Bend, globally, if I wanted to put it back on the bite sensor, as Patchman intended. The question is, will that mess up some other patches that I haven't encountered yet?

SYS-CTRL4 is normally set as CC04:FOOT TYPE, but I've yet to find a patch that actually uses it as a control source in the control matrix. Maybe the SRX piano or EP boards use it?
rcraven

Re: XV-3080 (or 5080) - is SYS-CTRL4 in use in any patch?

Post by rcraven »

Hi,
as you point out, Matt usually sets up the breath control on SYS-CTR2 but if you are going to the trouble to change each patch you could easily change that to CC2 instead.

The SYS-CTRLs are so you can change from one controller to another with out having to reset each patch.
One change and everything works for that type of CC message.

If you know that the patch is always going to used by the CC2 controller then you might as well set them to CC2 in the Matrix Control.

Presumably you need the ModWheel because you are using a keyboard as well as WX.
Perhaps another solution is that you can program a button to output
F0 41 10 00 10 12 00 00 00 19 02 65 F7 which will set SYS-CTRL2 to CC2 breath when you play the WX
and
F0 41 10 00 10 12 00 00 00 19 01 66 F7 which will set SYS-CTRL2 to CC1 modulation for keys

So either you swap SYS-CTRL using sysex or change each patch for CC2.

As far as pitch bend is concerned, I thought both the WX controllers and the EWI put out PB messages for lip bend and so you don't need to do anything. Are you using the WX wheel for bend?

Matt's patches for the WX were the first one I got and I can recommend that you save up and buy them.

All the best
Royce
Andy_H

Re: XV-3080 (or 5080) - is SYS-CTRL4 in use in any patch?

Post by Andy_H »

Hi Royce,

Thanks. I didn't realise I'd had a reply. The forum settings default to not telling people they've had one. I probably should have guessed that, though I've never seen the point of that setting, and especially not that as default.

The Patchman patches for the JV/XP series, which is what I have (and only bought quite recently), respond to breath, mod wheel and pitch bend. The Mod part of the control matrix is hard wired as CC1 on the JV-1010, which I was using those patches on for a short while. The next two controls are SYS-CTRLs and have to be set to pitch bend, then breath. The default is pitch bend, then aftertouch, which works for a keyboard.

On the XV series, there are four settable SYS-CTRLs. The first one is normally Mod, the second one is normally Aftertouch, and the third one is normally Breath. When the JV patches are imported to the XV, the Mod (CC1) control sources are put into the control matrix as CC1 (rather than SYS-CTRL1), but the other two are put in as SYS-CTRL2 & 3 - so if I'd left them as they were, the features of the Patchman patches that should respond to the bite sensor are responding to Aftertouch instead of Pitch Bend. The Yamaha WX5 can't send Aftertouch, though the Casio DH-100, which I also have, can only send Aftertouch, and can't send Breath.

So, I had no choice but change the value of SYS-CTRL2 to Pitch Bend, or change all of those SYS-CTRL2 references in the imported patches, to either Pitch Bend (hard wired), or SYS-CTRL4. I settled on SYS-CTRL4 in the end, and changed that to be the bottom half of the thumb wheel on the WX5, set as CC16 for the top half, and CC17 for the bottom half - though I may change it back to Pitch Bend. Ideally, I should be holding the thumb wheel half way to the bottom, to get the same neutral point as playing it in tune, with neutral bite pressure, for that control in the patches.

I don't play keyboards. I own more than one, but it's not really my thing. My fingers don't like having that many choices, and they tend to get lost. I do still intend to play the Casio DH-100 with the XV though - even though that's a lot more limited than the WX5 or the EWI. Some of the built in patches respond to it tolerably well, because they expect Aftertouch. I'll just have to change the SYS-CTRL values to use it though, and put them back afterwards.

My main wonder, was what SYS-CTRL4 is supposed to do, and if I'm making more problems for myself by re-using it for another purpose.