XP-80 problem recognising expansion boards

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
SaLTMan

XP-80 problem recognising expansion boards

Post by SaLTMan »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, having just taken back my keyboard from a friend who's been using it for a couple of years. Some years ago I replaced a display, but that's about all I've done in the last 15 years. It still plays fine - sequencer etc all appears to operate as it should. However, I noticed when replacing the battery today that there are 3 expansion boards (slots 1 through 3) - piano/hip-hop/60's70's keyboards - that I wasn't previously aware of, and would have been there when I bought it from the previous owner. Interestingly, though, I can't access any of them. The sound banks simply go user, PR-A, B,C, and GM. Pressing shift and 5,6, or 7 does nothing. When booting up, the display shows 'Expanded' and when I removed all three boards, this 'Expanded' message disappears on boot up. I installed the boards in different order/different spots, and the 'Expanded' message comes back on boot up, but no patches. In the system menu, the expansion details for slots 1 through 4 are blank. I tried going into diagnostic mode - holding EFX/Utility/Rhythm for quite a long period of time during boot up - but nothing happens. I'm guessing it's time to take it for repair, but has anyone come cross anything similar?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
ebowglow

Re: XP-80 problem recognising expansion boards

Post by ebowglow »

I've had something similar happen to my xp80. Have you tried installing one board at a time and turning on the xp80 after installing each board (make sure it shows up)? That seemed to work for me. Also.. you might try blowing out the boards slots with a can of air and making sure that the big white ribbon cable is seated properly. All of this solved my board issues. Hope this helps.