XV-2020 - how to clear sound in Performance Mode

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
dannytroy

Re: XV-2020 - how to clear sound in Performance Mode

Post by dannytroy »

Funny, I thought I had it all set (with your advice), with the EWI changing Performance programs.... until I turned off the XV. Turning it back on reset the Perf channel to 16, regardless of what it was in the editor. I knew there had to be a way to change it on the XV, and thought I could do that at the start of every gig. Luckily, after messing with the Utility mode on the XV (and no help from the manual), I was able to make the change to ch. 1, and it actually held after powering down. The manual states it will go to back to ch. 16 after initializing, but makes no mention of how to change the channel from 16. All is well now!
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

That is weird.
I don't have an XV2020 anymore, but my XV3080 holds any change to System Common from the editor.

There is no separate method to 'save' it as far as I know.

If you are using something that is playing Midi backing tracks you can make an initialization song with just a sysex message in it and play this at the start of the gig.

Here is a Midi file I made for you that does just that.
The only data in it is a sysex message so it plays in about a second and ends and makes no sound.
The sysex is F0 41 10 00 10 12 00 00 00 0D 00 73 F7

This works perfectly on my XV3080 which has the device Id set to 16 (factory default).
The XV2020 and the XV3080 have the same model number (00 10) so it should work.
http://www.bwalk.com.au/pub/xv2020%20Perf%20ch1.mid

Try it out and let me know how you get on.

All the best
Royce
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

I've downsized big time and leave the laptop at home. I use a dedicated cell phone with a great audio chip to play the midi tracks that I created at home. I rip at 256kps, so the MP3 sound quality is great. It's pretty close to going the laptop/synth module route. Since the majority of my gigs are only one hour, it's all about setting up and tearing down fast.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

I have to say that is why I like the SonicCell.

It can play either Midi or Audio from a USB thumb drive (I have different sets on separate drives in my pocket) and still have space on the synth for the Midi in from my WX.

The Midi songs play all the patch changes so I don't have to carry a pedal board any more.

Mic goes in the balanced phantom powered port (right audio in) and routed to its own FX.

The left input can be used as audio in from my EWI4000.

Plug the output into powered speakers and yo are good to go.

Glad to hear your problems are sorted.

All the best
Royce
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

Yes, the Sonic Cell piece looks pretty nice. If I decide to go the midi route I would consider that. Right now, I use an old Technics KN2000 keyboard, and use it's built-in auto-accompaniment for about half my set. The other half of the time I use the backing tracks, whether it be for a vocal based song, where I'm adding keyboard, or for the backing for my sax and EWI songs. I'm pretty busy with work, so I guess my audiences like what I'm doing.