XV-2020 - how to clear sound in Performance Mode

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
dannytroy

XV-2020 - how to clear sound in Performance Mode

Post by dannytroy »

I loaded a custom soundbank in my XV-2020, for use with my wind controller. If a particular Perf. Mode patch has 8 current sounds and I only want to use the first two, how do I clear the other 6 sounds? Keeping them there, even with zero volume level, is sure to use memory.

I remember a great guide, made by someone other than Roland, that was available for my old D-110 and U-120. I don't think any such animal is available for the XV series, and the owner's manual is lacking big time.

Thanks for any suggestions....
rcraven

Re: XV-2020 - how to clear sound in Performance Mode

Post by rcraven »

You could lower the volume but you would be using extra voices that you might need for other things.
The easiest way is to change the Midi channel on the unwanted parts.

Select the Performance on the XV and load the editor on your computer.
To the right of the performance name is a button called MIDI SETTINGS.
Click that and set the RCV CHANNEL to a different number.
Save the Performance to your XV.

All the best
Royce
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

Thanks Royce, I never would have thought of that. Can't believe they didn't just add a right-click delete option, or some other simple way to undo an added sound.
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

I just noticed, the next button after RCV Channel is an on-off button for RCV Midi. Would it be better to just turn off the output there, instead of changing midi channels?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

As long as you remember that and don't start scratching your head wondering why it doesn't sound even though you have the Midi channel set correctly. 8)

The only reason you wouldn't just turn down the volume on the 'not wanted' sounds is to save Voice usage.
The only reason you would try to save Voices is so you can play more notes on other parts.
If you are using the XV just for a WX5 then Voice saving isn't an issue especially as the WX5 is only duo-phonic (unless you are using a sustain pedal) .

All the best
Royce
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

Yes, it makes sense. I guess you are familiar with windcontrollers, since you mentioned "duo-phonic". Guess you're referring to the octave button. I do get an occasional stuck note, so I thought the voice memory might be the culprit, but it may be the fact that I'm using a midi-merge box in my practice setup at home. I'll try it out without the box on one of several gigs I have next week. When it rains it pours, although October is dry for me!
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Yes, I love the fact that the WX can play and hold a note while you solo above (or below it).
Changing the 'drone' note with the press the button while holding the solo note.
You can also play different parallel intervals. Great fun.

Are you an WX or EWI player?
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

Over the years I've had a WX5, a WX7 (or was it 11?), an EWI3000, EWI4000, and for a short testing a EWI5000 (which I returned to the store). With all those instruments you would think I was very proficient on it, I'm not. I only recently got serious about learning the instrument, and now I find myself leaving the sax home, preferring the EWI4000 on gigs. I do short, mostly one hour gigs, and mostly at senior facilities (nursing homes, senior centers, etc.) It's the only steady work around here that pays well, and I don't have to make a phone call to get the gig. They actually call me! BTW, I do a one man band thing, playing keyboard and I also sing. I save the EWI (or sax) for the last 20 minutes of my performance.

One problem I'm having a hard time with is on the XV-2020. I only use Performance Mode. Unfortunately the EWI patch change function only changes patches on the XV in Patch Mode. I have to manually change the patches when I play. I have the Midi Solutions Event Processor, but haven't figured out how to program it to convert a Patch change to Perf Mode. I think it is possible with the right programming. Other than that, I'm loving the fat sounds in Perf Mode with the EWI and will make the patch changes manually, is I have to. For my act, I only use about 10 different sounds, so I arrange them to be the first ten in the bank.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

In case you don't know, in Performance mode the Patches on the individual Parts can be changed except if the Patch has been set to the same channel as the Performance Channel.

The factory setting for the Performance channel is 16.
Sending a Patch Change (PC) message on this channel will change the Performance not the patch in a Part.
You can turn it off by taking the Performance Ctrl Ch past 16 to the Off position in the editors front page.

A PC on any other channel should change the patch on what ever parts have been set to receive on that channel unless the RCV PC is deselected (also RCV MIDI has to be selected but you wouldn't hear any notes if this isn't turned on).

Note that RCV MIDI is for that particular Part - no matter what channel it is on, while the RCV PC is for the Midi channel label to the left in the editor. Turning this off will stop PC messages reaching any and ALL Parts selected to that channel.

Open up the editor, press the MIDI SETTING button to open the window and have a play.

All the best
Royce
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

rcraven wrote:In case you don't know, in Performance mode the Patches on the individual Parts can be changed except if the Patch has been set to the same channel as the Performance Channel.

The factory setting for the Performance channel is 16.
Sending a Patch Change (PC) message on this channel will change the Performance not the patch in a Part.
You can turn it off by taking the Performance Ctrl Ch past 16 to the Off position in the editors front page.

A PC on any other channel should change the patch on what ever parts have been set to receive on that channel unless the RCV PC is deselected (also RCV MIDI has to be selected but you wouldn't hear any notes if this isn't turned on).

Note that RCV MIDI is for that particular Part - no matter what channel it is on, while the RCV PC is for the Midi channel label to the left in the editor. Turning this off will stop PC messages reaching any and ALL Parts selected to that channel.

Open up the editor, press the MIDI SETTING button to open the window and have a play.

All the best
Royce
Royce, I just gave myself a headache, trying to understand your post! First, in your first sentence, should it read "can't be" instead of "can be"??? Beyond that, are you saying I have the ability to change banks using the EWI on channel 16? I'm not that well versed on midi operation, and as a senior citizen, it takes a bit longer to me to wrap my head around all the technicality. BTW, I am able to make patch changes from within Performance Mode using the editor, so I have no issues there. My only problem is not being able to change Performances with the EWI.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Sorry about the headache. I try to reduce the pain a bit.

Yes the patches on the Parts CAN be changed with a PC message as long as the channel is NOT the Performance channel because that is the channel you use to change the Performance to another Performance.
Yes you DO have the ability to change the Performance with the EWI.

I do this often with Matt (Patchman) Traum's Performances. He has some great chords built into some of his Performances which allows for interesting parallel chords on the EWI.

In Performance mode you have 16 Parts (as Roland calls them).
Although Midi has 16 channels, channels and Parts are not related.
Any Part can be set to any channel.
Any number of Parts can be set to the same channel.

That being said, it is common for 1 Part per Midi channel so you can have 16 independent parts playing from a sequencer. ie 16 band members, all multi-instrumentalists (PC = change instrument)

BUT you can also get your EWI to play 16 different Parts (1 Patch per Part = 16 sounds) using just the one channel.
One player, many instruments. Think Roland Kirk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIIw65ccl94

Or anything in between.
Part 1,3,6 on channel 1
Part 4,8,16 on channel 2
Not using Parts 2,5,7,9-15

Banks

Patches are contained in Banks. There are 128 patches in each Bank.
Think of it as numbered instruments inside a cupboard.

There is a message to change instruments (PC) and there is a command to change cupboards (Bank change message).

If Parts 3 and 7 are set to respond to channel 5 and assuming they currently have different patches and you send a PC message one of two things can happen.

If their current instruments (patches) come from the same cupboard (Bank) asking them to start using instrument 46 means they will both play the same instrument ie same sound.

If their current instruments come from different cupboards then instrument 46 in different cupboards are likely to be different sounds.

You can rearrange the Patches in the User Banks like this to setup up groups of sounds and swap between them with a single PC message.

You can also do the same thing by setting up Performances and using PC on the Performance Channel to change Performance.

I think I have a head ache now. 8)

You can do a heck of a lot with these little boxes.
Worth the investment in time.

By the way, just so you are really confused, the editor doesn't use a PC message to change patches it uses a different message called System Exclusive or sysex .

Royce
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Sorry I missed the bit about how to set the XV up to change Performances with the EWI.
I assume that the EWI output is on channel 1.
Open the PC editor and on the SYSTEM COMMON area there is PERFORM CTRL CH.
Set it to 1 to match the EWI.

Note that you don't have 128 Performances in the various Performance Banks in the XV2020 so only PC messages below 64 for the User Performance Bank and below 32 for Performance Bank A and B.
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

Royce, you are a genius! Changing the channel in System Common the trick. I can't believe it was that easy. I really need to learn the inner workings of the XV, but how? Years ago third party books were written to simplify learning their operation. I guess with the Internet available it's assumed anyone can easily find answers to any question. I sure couldn't find the answer with my problem, and it wasn't all that advanced a problem. I thought I would have to lug around the Event Processor to gigs, which when programmed, could have done the same thing as flicking that switch in the Editor.

I have to say you are a great teacher. I will print out your post and keep it as reference. I knew most of what you are saying, as I've been messing with midi since the 80's, but really forgot more than I know. I started with a midi sequencer called Dr. T's KCS, and used it with an Amiga computer. I used to lug Amiga and a 9" B&W monitor, housed in a plywood box, taking it to every gig. That later was downsized to a laptop and now I use a dedicated cell phone to play my backing tracks. Sounds 95% as good as using the synth modules. Good enough for what I do.

BTW, I actually still at times use the KCS program. I use an emulator on the PC called Steem with an Atari version of KCS, and when I can't figure out how to do an operation in Sonar, I use KCS and get it done.

Ah, Roland Kirk. Didn't have to click on that link, as I was a huge fan. I saw him several times at the Village Vangard, in NYC.

So, my gig today will be a little easier having patch change available in Performance Mode. Thanks again.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

I was a member of the Midi Association very early on, so I too have been making a fool of my self for a long time.

As far as 'how to' books are concerned, I don't think even Craig Anderton has released a book for a while.
So I guess it is up to the good people here up to carry the flame of hardware synths and Midi 8)

Strangely, I find the hard part is working out what strange thing that might be done.
Finding the tech answers to sort it out are usually a lot easier.
I am amazed at what players dream up, but then more amazed the usually the cheap old gear can do it.

So ask away. That's what we are here for.

All the best
Royce
dannytroy

Post by dannytroy »

Craig Anderton, I couldn't remember his name. His book explaining the D-110 was fantastic. I don't remember, but I may have also had his book on the U-110. I had a lot of fun with those two modules. I used a sysex dump for every song, using KCS as the sequencer on gigs. Don't know if it was the best way to do it, but it worked for me. This is what it looked like, in case you're not familiar. It was made for Atari and Amiga (and possibly Apple?). The writer told me his big regret was never porting it over to the PC. http://tamw.atari-users.net/omega.htm

BTW, I forgot one windcontroller, the Casio DH-100, which was my first windcontroller. I used that with the D-110 and played some nice fat solos on that thing.