JV-1080 MIDI issue

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Andy68

JV-1080 MIDI issue

Post by Andy68 »

Hi All
It's been a long time since i was into Keyboards & such, infact it in the days of Pre-MIDI..

Ive always been a Roland fan & dearly miss my old 'Jupiter 4' & 'Pro-Mars' sysnths. The prices of these on the used marked it quite frightening so i thought id get together a good cheap system to be going on with only to be hit with a problem from the start.

I managed to acquire a Roland 'JV-1080' rack synth of which the Vintage keyboard plug in Expansion board looked very atractive.. The controller Keyboard of choice was the new M-Audio 'Code-49' {something i wish id never bought now}..

Here's the issue i have I connected the M-Audio MIDI out to the Roland MIDI in. Set the M-Audio to MIDI channel 1. Been into the Roland Parameters also selected MIDI channel 1. Technically i should have them both working together but nothing no sound!

Has anyone encountered this problem who can guide me to anything that maybe causing this issue?

Thanks in Advance
Andy - not off to a good start.
rcraven

Re: JV-1080 MIDI issue

Post by rcraven »

Some simple traps, most I'm sure you won't have fallen into.
Midi cables go from Midi Out to Midi In.

Plug in headphones into the Roland just in case there is a problem with the unit.
Most hardware synths had a demo mode so play those to make sure you are getting the audio out.

The Code-49 looks to have a built in Midi interface. If you have a PC, load the drivers and connect the USB, download MidiOx.
Under View in MidiOx make sure you have the Input Monitor visible
Under Options select Midi Devices and select your keyboard.
When you play the keys the Midi messages will appear on your screen and you can make sure it is putting out the Midi you expect.
Ask if you are not too sure how to check.

Feel free to ask again if this doesn't help.

All the best
Royce
Andy68

Post by Andy68 »

Hi Royce
Many thanks for your reply. I tried the three available Demo's & with success they play via the headset output. What i have decided to do is opt for a new Roland 'A49' Keyboard controller which seems to have MIDI out aswell as USB, sell on my present controller.. ill see how it goes from there.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi

I had a look at the Code-49 manual and thought that this might be the cause of your problem as the factory default is the Midi Out port is disabled.

The MIDI Out port sends out MIDI messages from your Code Series keyboard. You can
enable or disable this port. By default, it is disabled. It will not send out incoming MIDI
messages from your DAW or the MIDI In port.
To enable or disable the MIDI Out port:
1. Press Edit to enter Edit Mode. The Edit button will light up.
2. Press the MIDI Out key to enable or disable the port. The display will show MID and
whether the port is ON or OFF.
To change it while the display still shows the state, press the MIDI Out key or a Preset
Down/Up ()
key to switch between ON or OFF.
To confirm your change, wait for 1 second. You will exit Edit Mode automatically.

Page 98 of the manual.

All the best
Royce
Andy68

Post by Andy68 »

Hi Royce.

I can't thank you enough. I only just realised there's an extensive owners manual online. Well ive done what you said & Hey bingo the blighter works, Sounds really good too, can't wait to get hold of the 'Vintage Synth' & the 'Techno Collection' expansion cards for it... Just awaiting the Roland 'A49' to arrive, this is a barebones controller which i much prefer.. Thanks again.

Andy.
Andy68

Post by Andy68 »

Hi Royce
Thanks again for your help. I now have a new Rolabnd 'A49' Keyboard, the JV1080 works no problem with this. I wish that i had bought one of these in the first place..
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Andy
Glad you have it all sorted.