BAsic question, grouping patches

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
mp3ireland2

BAsic question, grouping patches

Post by mp3ireland2 »

Hi,
I have a stupid question...how do I group some of the patches together that I need to use on stage. On my old system i used to save these in a performance as various parts, I thought this was working last night as this seemed to be working, howver some patches came up as layred and couldn't add them.

I understand a performance is normally used to layer patches, so prob why the layered patches can't be added as a part.

I have a usb emulator installed so do I have to save the files to a disk that i want to group together? I looked up performance in the manual but it wasn't any clearer.....is there something else that this is called? or how can I do it so i don't have to remember the numbers for all the patches I want to use?

I have tried googling and am not getting very far!

Thanks,
Chris
Martijn

Re: BAsic question, grouping patches

Post by Martijn »

Hi Chris,

First of all, there are no stupid questions. But... I don't completely understand what you mean. Since you're using a usb emulator, are you using an XP-50, or something else? To 'group' you mean 'setting up all the sounds I need in the right order/closely together?'. I do this on my XP-30 by creating different performances which contain the correct setup I need (including layers and splits). You can enable and set as many parts as you need, mostly just one or two at a time and set things like patch, volume and effects and store that as a performance.

You do need to remember which number corresponds to which setup (01=piano, 04=hammond organ, 16=brass, etc.), but that shouldn't be too hard, should it? That's the way I would go, maybe keep a short list on a piece of paper.

On the Juno Stage I can assign favourites. With those I can easily switch between 10 setups (patches and/or performances) with one press of a button or even with a pedal.
mp3ireland2

Post by mp3ireland2 »

Thanks for the reply.

Just in from band practice so not in the mood for setting up and messing about with it now.
I have a usb floppy drive emulator installed instead of the floppy disk. Though i might need it to save something to.

I was using performance but all the patches weren't there...I wasn't sure I was totally understanding it but it seemed like some of the layered patches weren't available to add to it....Now that I know i'm on the right track I'll try again tomorrow...I might have just been missing something....I was possibly trying to use it slightly incorrectly...I'll update this tomorrow when i try again! Thanks for response....The manual seems so daunting!
mp3ireland2

Post by mp3ireland2 »

I can't figure out how to change a performance from a layred to a single one, all the user performances are layered and I need to change one of these to a single one, then I can save my patches there....frustrating as I can't figure it out :-( can anybody help?