How do I transfer a single patch from MIDI to the XV-5050?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Notes_Norton

How do I transfer a single patch from MIDI to the XV-5050?

Post by Notes_Norton »

OK, I'm really, really new to this synth. I've changed settings on Yamaha VL70-m and TX81z without this much trouble - I'm sure it's my fault (pilot error) but I cant figure this one out.

I saved user patches using the utility to MIDI file (since the editor isn't supposed to work with Win8.1)

I used XFER TO MIDI in the manual, and I do get SysEx data in the MIDI file.

I saved a number of them and the SysEx data is different in each patch.

I'd like to transfer single patch data back to specific user patch numbers. I don't see XFER FROM MIDI and I tried XFER TO USER and that didn't work. Perhaps I used the wrong settings.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it greatly if someone can help me figure out how to get a SysEx MIDI file from my computer to a specific user patch location using the computer this way:

Computer <--> USB to MIDI interface <--> XV-5050

Step by step instructions or the page number in the manual would help.

Thanks
Bob
rcraven

Re: How do I transfer a single patch from MIDI to the XV-505

Post by rcraven »

Hi Bob. Good to see you here.
Roland usually has a safety lock on receiving sysex.
Page 105 titled "Protecting Internal Memory"

If that doesn't fix it, the sysex messages have a byte in the header that is for the device ID (byte 3 - default is 17 as Roland displays it - hex 10 in the sysex) , but I assume you haven't changed the ID on the XV or done a factory reset that might have changed it.
You can read the sysex file with a Hex editor/viewer, but the easiest way to to sort it is to try each of the 16 values sending the sysex each time till it works.
Device ID is a Global setting and you will find details on page 106 and 107.

Patchman Matt's XV patches are pretty good. Might be worth checking them out and you could play your backing and the wind controller (you use WX5 as I recall ?)

All the best
Royce.
Notes_Norton

Post by Notes_Norton »

Thanks.

I bought it used with Matt's patches on it. I liked about a dozen of them so I paid Matt for the license.

I saved each individual patch via MIDI file using a sequencer, tried to transfer them back to another location, and it didn't work.

Thanks for the info. I have an early gig today a couple of towns south of me, so I won't get to play with it until Sunday.

So do I use XFER TO MIDI to get a patch back in? If not, what do I use? I'm having a hard time finding anything that says transfer FROM MIDI.

Thanks again,
Bob
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Bob,
When you saved the patch, the address of where it lives is in the sysex so it will only return there.

The Librarian that is bundled with the Editor works OK on Win7 64bit so I can't see why it wouldn't work on 8.1. (Sorry I didn't get to answer you previous question)

If you haven't used a Roland Lib before it can seem a bit odd.

The main window is the XV.
That is why it can't be closed and it only has the 128 User Patch slots.
You can only communicate to the XV from this window.
You can't save this data to hard disk from this window.

After setting up the Midi and downloading the patches (READ button) select File / Duplicate.
This will create a Library window filled with your 128 patches.
You can add /delete as many Patches, Performances, Rhythms etc as you want.
You save this Library to your computer.

Drag and drop from the Library to the Synth window to build the bank you want.
From the Synth window WRITE will send them to the USER bank inside the XV.

Group selecting, Right-Click and then typing in any of the memo fields will duplicate the memo in all selected patches.
eg I usually CTRL+A in the Synth window to select all and in Memo 1 type the main label before I add or create a library.

Click on the label at the top of the column to sort them. This will group them when you have a lot of patches in a single library so Matt's patches are easier to find.

You can have as many libraries as you have hard disk space.

All the best
Royce
Notes_Norton

Post by Notes_Norton »

Thanks again Royce,

Had a surprise gig yesterday (last minute call from an agent!) so I haven't had a chance to investigate yet, database crash today for my duo's mailing list (ongoing problem, switching from att to my web host), gig tomorrow so it looks like Wednesday will be 'the day of discovery' for me.

I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bob
Notes_Norton

Post by Notes_Norton »

Still working on it, but haven't done much. A few requests came in from clients who hire us, and learning them is job security. Since I sequence my own backing tracks, that means learning each part, practicing until I get it right and then going on to the next instrument. Ah, but they turn out the way I want them, so it's worth the time and effort.

I'll get back to this later. I think I'll need the editor. If it doesn't work on Win8.1, I'll have to drag out an old XP machine.