max SM size

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
my05

max SM size

Post by my05 »

Hi,

i saw a thread here somewhere regarding max size of ram (i think it was).

I previously owned a Fantom X6 which was using a 2Gb CF card without issues. I know some people used 1Gb simms in their units as well without issues (the manual stated other numbers of course - probably due to not having tested larger storage than what was written in there).

I sold the X6 (and got a moxf (* cough *) but also got another xv5080 - being very similar to the fantom, i could re-use my srx-cards :-)).

anyway, the 5080 has the 128mb limit for both ram and SM. I don't know if those limitations are fixed or not so i thought i should try them out. I will start with the SM. I recently orderd an XD/micro-sd adapter off ebay. My plan is to couple it with my current xd->SM adapter and hopefully i will soon find out if 256mb is possible or even 512.

Next thing to (potentially) try is to use 2x128mb 72-pinn simms on the unit (unless anyone has tried it already?).

Will update this thread with the results.
Solitary man

Re: max SM size

Post by Solitary man »

I am interested in your findings as I have a XV5080 with 128mb Ram and a SM 128mb card. The only issue I think maybe the time things take to load as on the Fantom X6 which I really regret selling.....nevermind.

I have a Yamaha Moxf8 and really love the sounds. I take it from your 'cough' your not happy?

What are your reasons for disliking the Moxf?

Thanks

Sol
my05

Re: max SM size

Post by my05 »

So, tried now with a 256mb card (fail), 128mb card (worked) and a 1GB card (failed). 128mb seems to be the upper limit for sure.

And no (LOL), i don't dislike it at all. I love it (only didn't want to advocate it too hard since this is a pure Roland forum :-)). Extremely powerful hardware but probably not worth live-gigging with too hard since the shell is not the most robust.