XV Editor hook up

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
HermanDu

XV Editor hook up

Post by HermanDu »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hook up my keyboard to the editor I can do it fine jwith just my
M audio midi uno but when I try to hook up my midi board up the editor is unresponsive
rcraven

Re: XV Editor hook up

Post by rcraven »

Hi
I'll assume you have a PC not a Mac.
If your midi board didn't come with a disk with drivers on it (ie you just connected it to your PC and it worked) it means you are using the Microsoft driver.
Unfortunately this is a rubbish driver that is single client - only one application can use it at at time - and it can only process small system exclusive messages - so it will often fail with older hardware synths.

There is no such limit in the Midi specification, but of course, MS knows better.
If if works with the M-Audio and not your controller it is the controller at fault.

What is the controller?
Perhaps it has a multi client driver available to download.
If not, write to them and complain.

All the best
Royce
HermanDu

Post by HermanDu »

I'm using a v combo vr760
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi
now I am a bit confused.

What editor are you trying to use?
If you are trying to edit the VR760 with the XV editor it won't ever work.
If you are trying to get aVR760 editor going, what editor is it?
I can't find an editor for the VR760 on Roland's web site..

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are trying to do.

Forget all the stuff I mentioned about the driver. The VR760 doesn't plug into a PC directly. It connects to a Midi interface. The Uno in your case.
The correct cable connection is Midi In to Midi Out.
That is, Midi In to the VR760 is connected to the Midi Out of your interface and similarly the Midi Out from your VR760 is connected to the Midi In on your interface.

All the best
Royce
HermanDu

Post by HermanDu »

I'm sorry forconfusion the vr is a controller for the XV 3080. I can hook the module up fine to the editor by itself but I would like to figure out the signal path so that I can add the keyboard so that I can hear my edits as I am making them in the XV editor
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Ah, now I get it.
You need to send the Midi out from the VR to the PC and send and receive the syex to the XV3080.
In the Editor go to Setup / Setup Midi Device..
Make the Through - input from the VP's Midi interface and the Through - Output to the XV's Midi interface

As the XV3080 and the VR760 only have Midi connectors and not a USB connection, you need to have either two Midi interfaces or a Midi Interface with 2 or more Midi In and Outs like the MidiSport 2x2.

I would avoid the temptation to get an extra single one like this. They are the cheap eBay ones and they are bound to give you trouble.

Another way, but not a good solution, is to first save the patch you want to edit as a file from the editor.

In the Midi Setup make the XV Input = Uno and the XV Output = Uno as you already have but make the Through - Input = (none) and the Through - Output = Uno.

With the editor grab all the patches that you want to edit and save them as files .

Now unplug the Unos Input from the XV Midi output and connect it to the VR760 output.

In the editor change the Through - Input = Uno.
Now you can play the XV with the keyboard and the editor will merge the keyboard Midi data with the sysex it sends out the to XV to change the sound.
When you have the new patch, save the file on the XV and as a file in your PC.

If the Editor and the XV get out of sync, use the Edit / Synchronize and the editor will send out all the sysex so they match.

Loading any of the patches into the editor will automatically send it to the XV so you will be ready to edit once that is finished.

All the best
Royce
HermanDu

Post by HermanDu »

Thank you....I'm assuming That I can do it with with my iconnect midi2. that's at my church I'll try the signal path that you stated would work for the madudio 2by2....(fingers crossed)