Rolland XP-50 Workstation Troubleshooting

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Marjie

Rolland XP-50 Workstation Troubleshooting

Post by Marjie »

A friend played around with my XP-50 workstation and didn't know what he was doing. Unfortunately when I turned it back on the Led display flashed "User Memory damaged" and then it showed jibberish ie. (%$#@!*x*)
and no sound when I tried the keyboard. I did a factory reset and that fixed it temporarily but after I turn it off and back on again...It reverts back to the same problem which means I have to do a factory reset everytime I turn it on.
Can anyone please help?
Thanks!!
Romey

Re: Rolland XP-50 Workstation Troubleshooting

Post by Romey »

You need to replace the battery.
dspange

Post by dspange »

I have decided to pull out the classic XP-50 and I am having a similar issues w/ my XP-50,

When I power it on the display contrast is at its lowest setting (set to zero, I have to hold shift and increase the contrast), midi settings are all set wrong (not set to local, key range is at its lowest setting), does not load default internal banks (I have to hold shift and select a bank). See jiberish on display (q-bert language:)

I have to set all these settings back when I want to play it every time. But its worth it! I love the classic XP sound banks.

I am hoping a new battery will resolve these problems.
Romey

Post by Romey »

The error "User Memory Damaged" is typically a bad battery as the user memory wont retain patches when the XP50 is powered off. I didn't notice any display contrast symptoms when my battery needed replacement. The problems you describe sound like some other problem as well. Are you able to do a factory reset? A battery is a inexpensive fix so it is definately worth a try.
Romey