XV-5050 Battery

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
dave_LIVE

XV-5050 Battery

Post by dave_LIVE »

Greetings - Has anyone replaced the battery in a XV-5050? If so, what type of battery and where it located in the unit?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
MidiKool

Re: XV-5050 Battery

Post by MidiKool »

Bump and reply
My son and I opened and disassembled my XV-5050 for clean and maintenance, no battery located anywhere, prolly there should be some backup component embedded in the PCB, but at least there is not the usual round battery type CR2032 or similar in XV-5050 inner.
Ilmostro

Post by Ilmostro »

Hi,

has anyone figured out if / where the battery is?
I downloaded the Service manual https://www.synthxl.com/roland-xv-5050/ , but doesn't look like there is a battery, nor can I see one inside

ImageRoland XV-5050

Another post mentions it uses flash memory, and that they resolved the issue, but doesn't elaborate further.

Any ideas - I'm sure other Roland models have the same issue.

Thanks.
Ilmostro

Post by Ilmostro »

Hmm - I think if it's the flash memory, then its chip IC3:

Looks like I'm going to have to open it up and hopefully it's just a bad solder joint.
Attachments
XV-5050 IC3 Flash Memory.png
XV-5050 IC3 Flash Memory.png (224.37 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
MatrixRat

Post by MatrixRat »

No sign of battery in parts list. If there's some problem with non-volatile memory then EEPROM chip IC10 is a possible suspect as well. When data is written to EEPROM or FLASH, more current is needed which can expose power rail issues like weak bypass caps.

What are the exact symptoms? My hunch is that Flash is used for USER data and EEPROM is used for SYSTEM data. Might help sniff it out.
Ilmostro

Post by Ilmostro »

The symptoms are basically if I change anything (so let’s say changing the LCD contrast), it will be forgotten after power off.

It’s a problem for me because I have a MAC, and the Roland USB driver is not supported anymore. You can set the XV-5050 to use a generic USB mode - BUT to get it to work, it needs a reboot, which clears the change I just made!
MatrixRat

Post by MatrixRat »

Caps perhaps. Had similar with a JV-1080, if you edited anything in a patch and tried to save your work it would revert to the un-edtied instance. Replacing Power supply caps fixed it. Ok, your hardware is different, but caps still wear out and when stuff is written to Flash, it can gobble big spikes of current.
Ilmostro

Post by Ilmostro »

That is certainly possible.

But in a bizarre turn of events, it just started working!

The only thing I can think of is that it's been pretty warm these last few days (yeah sometimes this happens in the UK - thanks to:

THE GLOBAL WARMING CRISIS - (just kidding, there is no crisis).

So maybe some component got up to a temperature that got it working?

Anyway, USB is now working on MAC's. Shame it doesn't do audio over USB like some (most) of the boutiques. It would be great if there was an audio interface that could take SPDIF or TOSLINK digital, and output USB audio to the PC. Theres plenty of DAC's that can take USB and output digital, so I don't see why it can't go in the other direction. Guess this is a whole other topic......