Sr-jv80-15 worth having in my xv-3080?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
synthman

Sr-jv80-15 worth having in my xv-3080?

Post by synthman »

Basicly, I read a review on this card that said that it wasn't worth having because you could find similar patches in preset bank C of the xv-3080. I can't check this as my unit hasn't arrived yet. Can anyone confirm this please. Would it be worth me getting it

Thanks
bluesplayer

Re: Sr-jv80-15 worth having in my xv-3080?

Post by bluesplayer »

Just to be sure since you did not also list the NAME of the SR-JV card, the SR-JV80-15 is the "Special FX" card it contains NOTHING but special FX.

If you really meant some other SR card then ignore the rest of this post.

==========

If you are here than you DID mean the SFX card. That begin said - whoever reviewed the SFX card and then concluded that a lot of the sounds are already in Preset Bank C of the 3080 is smoking some really potent hallucinogenic stuff, their contents could not be more be more different.

Look at Preset Bank C (forget the pages title "XV-88" that's got to be a typo)

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 9a7ea0f0d/ .

Now look at SR-JV80-15 cards list

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... b0f35f551/

Looking at the patch list for the Preset Bank C of the 3080 it doesn't have any Special FX (unless you consider pads, analog brass, VOX, or "ethereal" sounds mainly SFX?)

Now if SFX sounds are something you really want or NEED then by all means buy it and install it and use it .
Finally, yes you can crack the XV-3080 open and swapped out SR-JV boards as needed. But I'd not make that a daily routine. R&R (remove and replace) of these small circuit boards, while not rocket science, even if always gentle and vigilant can lead to you BREAKING a pin off, cracking the underling PCB, cracking the traces on the SR-JV card, etc. I use to be a tech so I KNOW that "crap" can and DOES happen.

Good Luck and enjoy your 3080
synthman

Post by synthman »

Thanks for the info bluesplayer Yes, I ment the "special FX card". Heres an extract of what I read about the card

My major gripe with this expansion card, however, is that many of the more musical sound effects are still not particularly useful for extended use in music because many of the waveforms taken from Distorted Reality were sounds sampled in clustered notes instead of one note at a time: there aren't even many octave-based drone waveforms heard in the presets upon first listen. The only major exception springing to mind is "SpaceshipVsw", a patch that, along with rumbling (and percussion if the velocity is strong enough), makes use of the "Harmonious" pad f
short, overall, this is best appreciated as a preview of what Distorted Reality 1 has to offer to composers and sound designers: beyond that, your better shot for unusual Roland sounds is Bank C of the presets from the JV-1080 onward (and occassional effects from the other expansion cards).
bluesplayer

Post by bluesplayer »

synthman

Post by synthman »

Thanks. I listened to sounds from the 2 sites you posted links to. To be honest, there wasn't much in the way of the more "industrial" type sounds. But from the sounds I did listen to, the card may just be worth getting, for the right price of course!