Roland XP 60 button switches hard

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
endust

Roland XP 60 button switches hard

Post by endust »

Just got a used XP 60 and I'm having a problem where I have to push down on some of the buttons pretty hard. Does anyone have any experience with this? Possible fix?

Thanks!
rcraven

Re: Roland XP 60 button switches hard

Post by rcraven »

The sad news is that many of the switches used in modern synths are tactile switches.
This is a small switch usually mounted on a printed circuit board.
Even if you bought the best one you could, it still has a fixed life.
Although usually in 100,000's of presses many were only in the 10,000's
As it is usually the contacts that wear out in these sealed switches on only way to fix them is open up the synth and replace them.
This involves de-soldering to remove the old ones and soldering the new ones back in.
Many places on the web and on ebay offer sets for various synth. Have a look you could be in luck. Otherwise you need to find the correct one that has the same pin size and placement and is the same physical size so it sits under plastic push buttons.

All the best
Royce
CesarsoundOne

Re: Roland XP 60 button switches hard

Post by CesarsoundOne »

On my XP50 I had the same problem. Solved it by disassembling it to have access to the switches board. Then, I put a very small quantity (a small drop) of WD40 Lub over the actuator of each switch and press it several times, in order to have the lub penetrate inside the switch. It is working very well so far, since 4 years ago.

Good luck.
Cesar