XP-30 auto switch 110/220v power?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Vitiko

XP-30 auto switch 110/220v power?

Post by Vitiko »

Hi,

I own XP-30 that was made for US market but using this synth in Ukraine with 220V voltage. As I was afraid to damage XP30, I used that with 110/220 transformer. So far transformer got broken. And now I'm looking for ways to use it without transformers. I checked service manual and found the power supply unit has the same part number for all voltages and looks like auto switch supply.
DOes anyone have experience with this synth voltage differences? Can it be used with 220V supply directly?
doktekts

Re: XP-30 auto switch 110/220v power?

Post by doktekts »

Greetings!

Did you ever make the discovery? I mailed Roland US today and they said the following:

"Regarding the XP-30, this model does have a switching power supply, so it can automatically adjust to different voltage levels with no modification."

I am also checking on a Facebook groups to see if others have any experience, so far the more technical guys theorize that the generic switching PSU can accept wide AC input.

I am willing to take the plunge and test this on my bench, fused to see what it does when hooked up to 230v.

Will post back (and hopefully answer this debate once and for all!)
doktekts

Re: XP-30 auto switch 110/220v power?

Post by doktekts »

I can confirm for certain that the 117V with fixed power chord can work on all voltages :)

I fitted a AC socket to mine today and connected it directly to the 230v supply, played it for 3 hours and so far still good. All voltages stable.

Have no fear, the Doktor is here!