Volume control of XV 5080 on different Midi channels

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Caruso

Volume control of XV 5080 on different Midi channels

Post by Caruso »

Does anyone know how to set up volume control on two separate midi channels? I play a chapman stick with midi and have my treble going in to midi 1 and bass on midi 3. I can control the volume on midi channel 1 using controller 11 but this will not work on midi channel 3. I disabled the overall volume control on the midi page because if I use that the initial volume settings seem to be overridden and the volume is much louder at maximum than I had it set.
I tried to set up the volume control in the effect page for the individual sound but it does not really work. It will see the controller but will only let me go in the negative direction on the sensitivity setting.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank You.
rcraven

Re: Volume control of XV 5080 on different Midi channels

Post by rcraven »

To avoid CC confusion set the following
No System Control Src (source) should be set to either CC7 or CC11.
In all the patches you are going to use, make sure that in the Matrix none of the Sources are CC7 or CC11

So for multiple Midi channels you should use a Performance.
Select PR-A 01 Seq:Template
Use the software editor - it is much faster.

Press "Midi Setting " button and you can see that all 16 parts are on different channels and all Midi messages are accepted.

"RCV Volume" - When this is ON the XV will treat CC7 messages as volume messages and it changes the level on that channel.
"RCV Expression" does the same thing.

The XV will respond to CC 7 and CC11 in the same manner, but the level for that channel is the SUM of the two CC settings.
That is, setting CC7 to half way and setting CC11 to half way will give you a level setting of a quarter.

Normally you can think of CC11 as the volume between instruments in a section, Trumpet , Trom, Tuba in a brass section. Adjust CC11 on each channel to get the balance.

Send a full set of CC7 messages on all the channels you are using (with the same value) as the overall volume control.

Love the Chapman Stick. A Midi one sounds fantastic.

Hope this helps
Royce
Caruso

Post by Caruso »

Hi Royce,
Thank you for your help. I have been editing with the software editor, it is nice.

I followed your instructions but I still cannot control midi channel 3 volume. I initially used the PR-A 01 Seq:Template as you described but no luck.

Is it possible that out of my 64 performance presets I have created that one has something programed for CC7 or CC11 in the matrix?

I can only send volume on midi channel one, do I need to be able to send it on channel 3 also?
Not sure My FC 1010 has that ability.

Is there some midi master where I can tell the XV-5080 to apply midi channel 1 commands to all of the midi parts regardless of channel?

I see what you mean about the sum when both receive volume and receive expression are enabled.

My System Control Src are set to CC29, CC30, CC03 and CC01. Do these setting have any relationship with the MFX control settings? Is there an easy way to check this without opening each user preset?

I have noticed when I try to control volume in the MFX or matrix that It is very weird. I can only seem to get negative values. When I have my volume pedal at 0 the VX-5080 responds with maximum volume just the opposite of the normal volume control. Also It does not respond when I set the sensitivity above 0. The sensitivity must be set to negative values to get any response. Then It behaves as described above.

Thanks again,
Caruso
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

A performance can use up to 16 Parts and any part can be on any Midi channel.
So I will refer Parts rather than channels.
PR-A 01 Seq:Template is set up so each Part is on a different Midi Channel so in this case Parts and Channels are the same.

Select the Performance PR-A 01 Seq:Template and fill each Part with a preset NOT from the user area.
None of these will have CC7 programed in them.
They are likely to use at least one of the four the System Ctrl Src so make sure none of theses are set to CC7 or CC11.

Check you CC7 and CC11 on channel 3
If this works correctly, then the problem is in your Presets and you will need to look there.

If it doesn't, you should check that you are sending the Midi messages you think you are.
If you are using as PC, grab a copy MidiOx, set up the Input devices in the Options menu for your Midi interface and try the CC controller and make sure it is putting out the CC7 and CC11 on channel 3.

If it is, then it is likely that it is your Presets, otherwise you will need to look at your controller.

All the best
Royce
Caruso

Post by Caruso »

Hi Royce,
Yes, setting up the controller on midi channel 3 allows volume control of presets on midi channel 3. This works but is not ideal. I think all of the presets are working ok, but I don't think it is possible to do what I want to do. I would like to control all volume using 1 pedal on midi channel 1.

So here are my solutions for anyone reading this thread.
1. Set 1 controller (CC11 or CC7) to midi channel 1 and the other to midi channel 3. This must be done globally on the FC1010 and cannot be changed. I can use 1 foot to control both pedals at the same time but it is cumbersome.
This means that the second pedal that I use for wawa or effects is can only be used for volume control. So I must sacrifice wawa or other effects that I would use a pedal for.

2. Use an analog volume on the output of the 5080.
This is ok but parameters cannot be set for individual slope and other parameters.

3. Plug the 5080 into an external effects processor and control volume from there.
This seems to be the best choice because I can control all sorts of parameters for both outputs by assigning all midi 1 patches to output 1 and all midi channel 3 patches to output 2. I can then process them separately but use midi channel 1 to control individual or multiple parameters for each sound. I can also run the 5080 without any effects and add effects with the external processor.

Thank you fro all of your help.
Caruso