Foot Control of Pitch on XV-5080

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Caruso

Foot Control of Pitch on XV-5080

Post by Caruso »

What is the best way to set up pitch control on the XV-5080 using an external foot controller like the FC-1010?

One of the problems seems to be that the foot pedal has a value the can be from 0 to 127 but the smallest number must be when the pedal in in the up position and the largest must be when the pedal is fully depressed. I think because the 5080 was intended to be used with a keyboard as an external controller that 0 is set to correspond with 0 on the mod control on the keyboard, where 0 is the center. With the FC-1010 I would like 0 to be when the pedal is fully depressed at a value of 127.

Also, is it possible to control pith up and down (+2 or -2) using a foot controller?

I think it is only possibly to set 0 somewhere and and choose either + or - but not both because tit would be really hard to find the center throw of the pedal.

Idea for anyone creating a new midi foot control pedal ---- set it up like a keyboard controller where 0 is in the center of the sweep and it will have a notch that you can feel to lock it in at 0.

Enough ranting, any ideas are appreciated,
Thank you
Caruso
rcraven

Re: Foot Control of Pitch on XV-5080

Post by rcraven »

If you use the Midi Pitch bend message (PB) the center is the half value.

Value is 2 bytes - Least Significant Byte and Most Significant Byte.

The PB message is PB+channel DataLSB Data MSB
LSB MSB
00 40 is the center (no bend) setting.
00 00 is the maximum downwards pitchbend
7F 7F is the maximum upwards pitchbend.

All the best
Royce
Caruso

Post by Caruso »

Thanks for your help Royce. I am not sure that I understand.

Should I set my foot control maximum to 40?
Then I could set the sensitivity, whether up or down, using the matrix editor?

Thank You,
Caruso
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

oops, sorry I should have thought more about it.
This was a modification I made to the UNO code many years ago for my own use.
I added the momentary switch action feature to the general UNO code, but I kept adding things for my use.

Just use the CC message you have already set up from the FCB1010 and control the pitch in the XV Matrix.

You will see in the XV editor that each tone can be set to On or Rev (reverse).
Plus the SENS (Sensitivity) can be set above 0 to raise the Pitch as the CC values increase or below 0 to do the opposite.

To swap your pedal action just set a Source to the CC number, the Destination to PITCH and each Tone below that Destination to Rev and adjust the SENS to a value above 0.

Hope this helps.
Royce
Caruso

Post by Caruso »

Thanks again Royce ,you re the master on the XV-5080.

Setting the REV is the trick to get the 5080 to recognize the foot controller for sure. I was wondering what Rev was for. I was thinking it was another place to add reverb.

I was still having a problem because the depressed value on the foot controller is maximum (in this case 127). I could not get this to be the starting value for pith up or pitch down. So when I change to my program I initially have max pitch bend. If I rise the pedal to value of 0 then I have the starting pitch.

I was able to get around this by changing the tuning of the pitch by the amount of bend desired.

I want to lower the pitch like whammy bar, so this what I did.
Patch Common: Tune Coarse -15, Tune Fine : -20
Matrix Editor: Source : CC04 Foot Type: Pitch: -32

This setting gives pitch bend of a perfect fourth down by raising the foot pedal and is in tune when the pedal is fully depressed.

It took me while to get it in tune, it is super hard to adjust the sliders by only one number in the software editor, but these settings seem to work for me:)

Is there any way to hard enter values in the editor using a keyboard in Windows?

Thank You,
Caruso
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Caruso.
Sorry for the late reply, but I have been away.

You can click the control you want and the value appears below it now you can use the 'up' and 'down' cursor controls on the keyboard.

Where the value is already displayed (like on the 'Output Assign' in the TVA window) no new box appears, but the cursor keys works as normal after you click the slider.

All the best
Royce