JV-1000 siezure

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Fudbutter

JV-1000 siezure

Post by Fudbutter »

I have a JV-1000 that I have happily used since 1993. I love the darn thing. It changed my life back when I brought it home.

I never got around to changing the battery nor have I ever gotten a message in the display that the battery was low, but I figure after a quarter century, I was stretching my luck, so earlier this year, I took it to the local fixit guy that Sam Ash referred me to for a battery change.

Last week, in the middle of sequencing, it seized. The display on the sequencer side went blank and the display on the synth side just shows a lines like a bar code. No other button is lit or works

Anyone every experience this, Is the board done for?

This is kinda like losing a best friend plus without it , I can't play any other module that I have, including a JV-1080 and an SH-32 I found in my basement this past few weeks, both of which are a bucket of fun to play with

Any pertinent comments would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
AncientGeek

Re: JV-1000 siezure

Post by AncientGeek »

Hi Fudbutter,

If you're not comfortable with and equipped for electronics troubleshooting, and I guess you're not, your best bet is to find someone who is. First step would be to download the service manual (findable on the web) and check all the power supply voltages. The power supply on these is known to suffer from dry solder joints, and the electrolytic caps may be well past their best.

Good luck.
Fudbutter

Post by Fudbutter »

Thanks AG !

Of course my lack of expertise reacts to this as "uh .. there is voltage? There are caps on electrolytics?" but it does give me something to tell the tech guy.

I was waffling between just getting a new sequencer/keyboard or fixing this old fella but I would dearly like to keep it so I will give it a try
AncientGeek

Post by AncientGeek »

It's always good to keep decent gear out of landfill. 'Caps' is short for 'capacitors', by the way. It's not totally clear from the service manual but it looks as though this model does not use the surface mount electrolytic capacitors that are such a problem on some other models of the era, so that would be a blessing. Just one quick question... Have you tried doing a factory reset?

The following procedure can be used to clear the internal memory and reload the factory settings:

(CAUTION: All USER information will be lost. Be sure you have back up of any information you wish to keep.)

1) Hold NUMBER 8 (also labeled PERFORM 16 and CAPS) and turn the power on.
2) Press ENTER followed by WRITE.
Fudbutter

Post by Fudbutter »

Factory reset is always the first thing I try to fix these things. I fact, it is my entire bag of tricks :)

With my limited tech knowledge, I have figure that it is some sort of electrical connection issue the way it went out. The unit is really two units barely integrated, the JV-90 synth and the MC-50mkII sequencer. There is a screen for each. In the middle of sequencing the SH-32, the sound stopped, all buttons went out (both light and function), the sequencer screen went blank and the synth screen showed nonsensical lines that look like a bar code. Factory reset and simply turning it on and off (also turning it on and waiting awhile) produced no different result. So perhaps somewhere in the path, some connection went kablooey.

In any event, this piece would never go to a landfill, It has been way too good a friend for way too long a time. He deserves at least one more chance at the fixit guy, although that FA-08 looks awfully inviting

BTW: I really appreciated your help here.
KimK

Post by KimK »

Hello Fudbutter and others with the Seizure Problem,

I was wondering if you got your problem solved as I have a similar problem. The re-initializing procedure does not work for me either. Just the one line of "bar code"

Question to JV Owners: If the battery is dead or removed would that contribute to not being able to reinitialize the unit?

Thank you.