Need Help Finding AC Adapter for XV-2020

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
MinorKey

Need Help Finding AC Adapter for XV-2020

Post by MinorKey »

Hello,

Hope someone here can help me out.
Just a couple of minutes ago I received my XV-2020. I got it used from Ebay - it shipped from the UK, but the seller provided an European AC adapter (just as we agreed up on). The unit itself looks fine, but there's a problem with the adapter, namely that one of the 2 pins that go into the wall is malformed (weirdly tilted), which renders the adapter basically useless. I can try and get it fixed, but I have my doubts whether it will work.

My question is, could someone tell me what to buy as a replacement? Is there any current product that's fully compatible with the 2020?
Of course, it should be suited for European power sockets. My search gave me a few results, but I'm
uncertain as to what to get. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm practically blind and I therefore can not confirm visually whether I'm really getting the right thing or not. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Roland product as long as it works.

My "best" tip so far is the Roland PSB 1U. It seems that even that one has since been discontinued, but I think that they still have it in stock in one music store over here.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Have a nice weekend.
MinorKey

Re: Need Help Finding AC Adapter for XV-2020

Post by MinorKey »

Would this one work?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_psb230_eu_edirol.htm
The things that confuse me are 1. there's no mention of the XV-2020; and 2. this adapter seems to output 2000 mA. I recall reading somewhere that the XV-2020 only needed 1000 mA, but than again, I can be wrong. And than there's the 3rd thing - I'm not sure if it could be plugged into the module.
MinorKey

Post by MinorKey »

Well, after applying a bit of force the PSU can now be connected to a power socket. :-) It would still be great to know, however, whether a suitable alternative for it exists as these kind of things don't always have the longest time-span.
The good news is that the module works and I have to say that it contains some really nice patches. I got it mainly for the bell and pad sounds and I think that the XV delivers in this regard (for my needs anyway).
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

According to the manual (p162) the XV2020 needs a 9V DC adapter and draws up to 600mA (0.6 amp).
Volts and Amps...
Less than 600mA might overheat and kill the adapter.
More is OK for the XV2020 and the adapter will be cooler, but it is a waste of the extra money it will cost.
A lot more than 9 Volts might kill the XV2020.
Less than 9 V and the XV may not power up and it may work the power adapter too hard.

As the needed adapter output is DC, the plug pin connection is important
On page 5 of the manual it shows a picture of the polarity of the plug .
The center connector is negative- very IMPORTANT

You have to use an adapter that can supply at least 600mA.
You can use a 1Amp or 2Amp, but not a 0.5Amp (500mA)
It is called an AC adapter because its input is AC (from your wall).
In your case the output needs to be DC
DO NOT use an AC adapter with AC OUTPUT.

So look at the output and it should be 9 volt DC with a max of at least 600mA with center connection being negative (-ve)

All the best
Royce
MinorKey

Post by MinorKey »

Thank you so much. So, according to the info you posted (sorry that I missed it in the manual) the PSB-230 meets all criteria as it's 9V and is indeed a DC one. Of course, that's assuming that it can be plugged into the module. Good to know that the fact that it has 2000mA does not really matter. I may still look for a different (little cheaper) alternative, but at least now I know that the options are there.