5080 OS update with SM card.... not working! Advice?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Sir_Ricardo

5080 OS update with SM card.... not working! Advice?

Post by Sir_Ricardo »

Greetings -

My very cool XV-5080 has OS 1.21

I'd like to update to the current 1.3

I've got a 16mb SM card (you need 4mb to do the OS update)

My problem; I've followed the directions per Roland, below.

But when I press "INC" (yes), I get the error message "Error: update data is not found."

I've formatted the card and put the ROM file on it per Roland's instructions.

Any thoughts?

The fallback position is to load the OS via midi. I've done this a million times in the past with all sorts of synths, with no effort. However, with this synth, the OS is contained on 32 separate midi files! Each one needs to be loaded / transmitted to the synth, in order. That is incredibly ridiculous.

Am I misunderstanding something? Why would Roland choose such a ridiculously clunky approach to updating?

Any help vastly appreciated!

Richard
==============================================

Copy the file to the SmartMedia card:
1) Format the SmartMedia in the XV-5080.
2) Copy the update file to the "Roland" directory
of the SmartMedia card.

Use the following procedure to update the XV-5080:
1) Power on while holding DEC and C.
2) "Update [CARD] Never Shutdown,"
"Yes=INC, No=DEC" will be displayed.
3) Press INC.
4) When updating is completed correctly, "Complete
Update Please Power Off" will be displayed
and the [A] to [H] LEDs will blink.
AncientGeek

Re: 5080 OS update with SM card.... not working! Advice?

Post by AncientGeek »

It seems to me that some troubleshooting is required to identify the cause of the problem.

1. Format the card in the XV-5080. Save a file to the card in the XV, and check that you can read it back in the synth. Also, check that you can read it using the card reader on your computer.

2. Format the card in the XV-5080.Save a file (MIDI perhaps?) to it using the card reader on your computer. Check that you can read it back on your computer. Also, check that you can read it back in your XV-5080.

From these tests you should have a better idea of where the problem is.

One last stupid question... You are saving the file MIIG4.rom to the SM card aren't you, not the downloaded compressed file (either ZIP for PC or HQX for MAC)?

Let us know how you get on...

Steve
Sir_Ricardo

Post by Sir_Ricardo »

AncientGeek wrote:
Let us know how you get on...

Steve
Steve, thanks for replying.

Success! Finally, for lack of anything better to do (I followed your suggestions, to no avail....but thanks!), I placed the rom file inside of the "Roland" folder that is generated on the sm card when you format it. That did it.

It's only now that I see that that's part of the instructions from Roland! I missed that....I had been placing the rom file on the sm card, but NOT in the Roland folder.

Oh well. The synth is in such great shape I figured it wasn't Roland's fault. But the solution was so obvious, and I just missed it.

Thanks for your efforts, Steve.......I appreciate it!

Richard
AncientGeek

Post by AncientGeek »

Well done Richard -- that was one possibility that didn't occur to me. I'm glad it's solved and the synth can go on providing good service.

Steve
Weaveand

Post by Weaveand »

Hi Guys,

I was running through the process of updating my OS in XV3080.

All was fine, formatted the card, copied file to Roland directory.
Got a message Error! Data not recognised (or similar).

Wasn't too worried, so turned the unit off.
Removed card.
Turned unit On, the LCD screen doesn't display anything. It is as if the card has corrupted the entire machine.

To do a factory reset I need to see the screen, but not possible!

Is there a combination thing, e.g. Turn On holding XYZ to get to some kind of bios set up?
Hope someone can help,
Thanks
Vesa

Post by Vesa »

I'm in the process of upgrading my XV-3080, like most here I also got the "Error! Update Data is not found" message after placing the .rom file in a .... "Roland" folder, formatted in Win 10

2nd attempt: I let XV-3080 format the new 16MB card and it created a "ROLAND" folder...that may be it, not "Roland" but "ROLAND" folder

Phew, it passed without error msg and is currently writing, and now asking me to power it off :)

SYSTEM -> INFO shows a version number, 1.11, wasn't there before :)

I upgraded coz XV Editor didn't work with my XV-3080, only retreived info at startup, and gives error messages later when I try reading SRX or Preset patches. MIDI-wise all is OK, XV Librarian can send and receive patches.

Sigh... XV-5080 Editor still only receives info at startup (shows the currently selected Patch), and later gives error message that my "XV-5080" is not connected properly... It can't tell I have a XV-3080 and there IS NO XV-3080 editor to download...

Well, I got the OS Upgrade and not a brick :)