XV5080 Tone delay Clock Sync Mode is missing

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
Dr-Mbogo

XV5080 Tone delay Clock Sync Mode is missing

Post by Dr-Mbogo »

I have a JV2080 and a XV5080. Using the Tone delay Clock sync mode (CSYNC) of my JV2080 works great for making arpeggio patches. Unfortunately the XV5080 is not to be equipped with the CSYNC mode. Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks in advance.
rcraven

Re: XV5080 Tone delay Clock Sync Mode is missing

Post by rcraven »

Hi,
there is a Tone delay in the WG (wave generator). The lower values are 0 to 127 then there are regular notes, dotted notes and triplets against the clock.
There is also 4 'Modes'

All the best
Royce
Dr-Mbogo

Post by Dr-Mbogo »

Thanks for your feedback Royce. I already knew that there are "regular" note length values for each tone delay mode. The main idea behind my question is to get a constant arpeggio loop while holding down just one single key. In the JV2080 I managed to archieve the loop using the clock sync delay mode and the lfos. I copied each and every parameter to match the settings to the 5080 but with different results. The first 4 notes (all tone gerearators are switched to "on") are played as desired, because of the different note delay. So far so good. Unfortunately this note pattern is not repeated but the notes are played in sync to the lfo occuring at the same time.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

What Delay mode were you using on the JV2080. It has a couple of extras.

My attempts at this have never been very good but..

I have the LFO Key sync on for Tone 1 only. All the others are set to off.
Although there is no LFO phase setting ...
The LFOs are out of phase and seem to stay that way but there is some variance.
I have tried the WG delay with some limited success .
I don't use the LFO to TVA parameter, but set the LFO to turn the TVA on and off using the Matrix Control.

I had another try and this is as close as I get on my XV3080.
(Zip file extensions are not allowed, but this is a ZIP file)
Repeating.zip.txt
This is an Roland Editor file
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Let me know how you get on.
All the best
Royce
Dr-Mbogo

Post by Dr-Mbogo »

Thank you very much for your work and the attachments. Good Idea to use the control section (much more elegant compared to my approach) and very convenient to set each voice quickly.

I think I can not live without key sync for each voice, because to set just one voice's key sync to "on" causes the pattern to be played very differently whenever I strike a key. Tricky! I just had the idea and tried within the performance mode, but with the same results. The key lies in the phase shift of the LFO. Unfortunately there is no parameter to set it... I still do not understand why there is a difference between the JV and the XV. I thought they are basically the same.

Here are my settings for the arpeggio in my JV2080:

WG:
Voice 1: Normal
Voice 2: C.SYNC. Delay: 24
Voice 2: C.SYNC. Delay: 48
Voice 2: C.SYNC. Delay: 72

LFO1: | Waveform: SQR |Ext Sync: CLK | offset: -100 | Rate: 96 (quarter note) | Level: +63
LFO2: | Waveform: SQR |Ext Sync: CLK | offset: -100 | Rate: 48 (eight note) | Level: +63

The arpeggio needs both LFO's to make it work!