Using 'bulk dump' - will it save all the data in my User defined performances and patches?

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
world

Using 'bulk dump' - will it save all the data in my User defined performances and patches?

Post by world »

I have the Super JV1080 and want to back up all my user defined performances and patches but it's tricky getting hold of a M-256E memory card; will a bulk dump (to my Cubase sequencer) work just as well?

How does one retrieve such a bulk dump? The JV manual does not explain such as far as I am aware.
Foksadure

Re: Using 'bulk dump' - will it save all the data in my User defined performances and patches?

Post by Foksadure »

Bulk dumps are quite easily done on the JV/XP/XV synths.
You just have to arm a MIDI recorder software (e.g. MIDIOX (PC) or a DAW) and trigger those from the unit Utility menu ((JV-1080_OM page 73).
You can even use a SysEx request message to trigger the dump from the computer.

But you'd better use a librarian if you plan to manage USER bank content dumps:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Chan ... ngeIt.html (PC only)

In case you need an extra RAM card, there are new batteryless multi-banks models out there:
https://sagamusix.de/other/roland_memory_cards/

This should drive the OG M256 (32K) & M512 (64K) silly prices down.
vsyn7425

Re: Using 'bulk dump' - will it save all the data in my User defined performances and patches?

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi World. I realise this post is a few years old but it is still relevant as memory cards for the JV-1080 are rarer than ever and sagamusix.de no longer make the alternative cards.

I would get used to backing up the JV-1080 as Foksadure suggests, using a Midi Recorder such as Midi-OX or the simple to use SendSX which gets the job done simply and efficiently.

I haven't got a JV-1080 but do have a JV-1010 which is very similar in architecture. On the JV-1080 there is the opportunity to dump sysex via the Utility menu but on the JV-1010 no feature exists so bulk dump requests have to be created and sent manually.

Possibly one of the most useful sysex commands is to request the User Patch Bank which can be achieved on the JV-1010 using one sysex string:

F0 41 10 6A 11 11 00 00 00 00 7F 17 01 58 F7

The above sysex string is specifically for the JV-1010 or JV-2080 but should also work for the JV-1080. Use Midi-OX or SendSX to send the request and you should get a return of 82304 bytes from the JV-1080.
digitalbilly

Post by digitalbilly »

It could be me but i find dump to memorycard more easy I found this multibank memory card on reverb

https://reverb.com/ca/item/41051762-m25 ... 0-d70-m256

price not bad too
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

On page 74 of the JV-1080 manual it says in regards to bulk sysex dumping:

When User is selected:
PERFORM: All Performance data in user memory is sent. Data for Patches/Rhythm Sets in Parts is not sent.

I maybe be missing something here but this would suggest that Performances 1 to 32 can't be dumped in their entirety, only the part parameters can be dumped i.e. the links to the patches used in a performance etc. So it appears to be impossible to dump the Performance Part Patch parameters in full. So the only way to backup a full performance is by saving the temporary performance.