Roland XV-2020 Windows 10 Driver - finally!

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
monsterjazzlicks

Re: Roland XV-2020 Windows 10 Driver - finally!

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi Akahum,

Unfortunately my Windows OS corrupted itself over the weekend, so I have since had to perform a reformat!

Paul
Mooghead

Post by Mooghead »

Just tried using this for my Roland XV-5050 and it worked like a charm. I've not fully tested it yet, but so far the MIDI ports are recognized and the editor is able to change performances. Thanks very much for this huuuuge tip!
monsterjazzlicks

Mooghead wrote: 00:31, 31 May 2022 Just tried using this for my Roland XV-5050 and it worked like a charm. I've not fully tested it yet, but so far the MIDI ports are recognized and the editor is able to change performances. Thanks very much for this huuuuge tip!
You tried the XV-2020 drivers and they worked?
Akahum

Post by Akahum »

Quick update - if you have other devices connected by USB using MIDI, I found I have less conflicts / problems if I set the MIDI preferences in XV Editor so that all 4, ie both input and output fields are set to 'A800 Pro', not just the top two fields. Hope this helps.
AgentSmith007

Post by AgentSmith007 »

I bought XV-5050 last week. I also have Roland G-70 arranger workstation keyboard and Cakewalk Sonar V-Studio 100 USB digital audio/MIDI interface. I also use Cakewalk by BandLab DAW/MIDI sequencer.

Before I bought XV-5050 set up was simple between G-70, V-Studio 100, and Cakewalk. But with addition of XV-5050 I had to figure out how to interconnect everything, so I can play on my G-70 through XV-5050, can play MIDI file from Cakewalk DAW, and everything else. I got everything working through Sonar V-Studio 100 and MIDI cables, but I had to plug and unplug MIDI cables between G-70, Sonar, and Cakewalk for different tasks.

I also ordered CME U6MIDI Pro - USB MIDI interface with advanced router & filter box (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFFQGB33) to help me to interconnect everything so I didn't have to shuffle MIDI cables (box didn't arrive yet at the time of this writing).

Then this morning I tried to see if I can make XV-5050 to work with Cakewalk via USB. After searching Internet I found this old thread. After downloading A-Pro drivers I got SV-5050 working with Cakewalk on my Windows 10 PC.

Thanks everybody.
tksense

Post by tksense »

To monsterjazzlicks or those who are still trying,

First, the ROLAND driver is located under the hardware type "sound, video, and game controllers" category - select that, then you will see ROLAND / A-PRO from the list o manufacturers.

If you still can't get that to work, there is always the windows "generic" driver, which still works in Win10.
You just have to go to the XV hardware's system menu, set the USB driver to "generic" instead of "vender".

XV: System > MIDI&USB > USB Driver: (vender) [GENERIC]

Hope it helps.
monsterjazzlicks

Cheers tksense!
hidhoman

Post by hidhoman »

Schorsch64 wrote: 14:05, 13 January 2022 Hi Paul,

not sure if this will work but I suggest to do the following (the options to chose may be called different on your computer, I am working on a german version of Windows and therefore don't know exactly the correct english names of all menu options, but I think you get what I mean):

1) connect your XV-5050 to your computer

2) open the Windows device manager, chose the XV-5050 in the list of devices, right-click on it and uninstall the device -> select to uninstall the related driver as well if this option is available

3) disconnect your XV-5050 from the computer

4) uninstall the A-800 Pro driver using the uninstall.exe program which is available in the directory where you unpacked the A-800 Pro zip file into

5) reboot the computer

6) install the A-800 Pro driver again with the setup.exe program delivered with the driver

7) connect your XV-5050 to your computer, have it install whatever the system wants to install as a driver for it

8) when XV-5050 appears in the list of devices in Windows device manager right-click on the XV-5050 and chose "update driver"

9) chose "Browse my computer for drivers"

10) chose "select from a list of installed drivers on my computer" (or something similar)

11) de-select/unclick "show compatible hardware" ! this should expand the list to all available drivers

12) chose "Roland" from the vendors list and then "A-Pro"

13) in case of any warning to not install because the driver does not match the device: ignore it and chose "continue anyway" or similar option

Now the A-Pro driver should be used for your XV-5050, but it might appear as "A-PRO" in the list of Windows device manager rather than "XV-5050"

Hope it works :-)
This variation of the instructions worked for me with an XV-2020 & Windows 10

Thank you
MarshallHeart

Post by MarshallHeart »

This variation of the instructions worked for me with an XV-2020 & Windows 10

Thank you
[/quote]

Hi, I get my xv-5050 tomorrow and can't wait to check that out...

Can you open the Editor before you install the 5050? Mine does not...
Thanks Olly
hidhoman

Post by hidhoman »

I didn't try to open the software prior to having the driver installed.

Also it's noting that the has been two times since my previous post that Ive re-do the whole procedure because of the driver not working again
MarshallHeart

Post by MarshallHeart »

Installing drivers for the xv5050 doesn't work with Windows 10 (latest update/August 2023) no matter which tutorials I use...
I can open the editor, play on the virtual keyboard and hear the current program via mid in/out to usb cable, but other than that nothing works when the xv5050 isn't installed..

The editor would be a real helper, but ROLAND let down their customers...that's a shame and not understandable as the usb to PC thing is still up to date after over 23 years
AgentSmith007

Post by AgentSmith007 »

MarshallHeart wrote: 10:24, 22 August 2023 Installing drivers for the xv5050 doesn't work with Windows 10 (latest update/August 2023) no matter which tutorials I use...
I can open the editor, play on the virtual keyboard and hear the current program via mid in/out to usb cable, but other than that nothing works when the xv5050 isn't installed..

The editor would be a real helper, but ROLAND let down their customers...that's a shame and not understandable as the usb to PC thing is still up to date after over 23 years
MarshallHeart,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Everything works fine on my end.

I have Windows 10 Education edition, 22H2, with latest August 2023 updates.
Roland A-Pro driver is installed. Both, my Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller and XV-5050 using the same driver, just with different numbers, like A-PRO I and A-PRO II.
My Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller connected to PC with USB cable and working fine.
My Roland XV-5050 connected to PC with USB cable and working fine.
I have A-PRO EDITOR installed and working fine and I can edit settings and parameters on my Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller.
I have XV-5050 Editor installed and working fine with XV-5050.
I have Cakewalk by BandLab installed and working fine with XV-5050.

See attached screenshot.

What do you mean by "nothing" works?
Attachments
APro.jpg
APro.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 1015 times
MarshallHeart

Post by MarshallHeart »

MarshallHeart,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Everything works fine on my end.

I have Windows 10 Education edition, 22H2, with latest August 2023 updates.
Roland A-Pro driver is installed. Both, my Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller and XV-5050 using the same driver, just with different numbers, like A-PRO I and A-PRO II.
My Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller connected to PC with USB cable and working fine.
My Roland XV-5050 connected to PC with USB cable and working fine.
I have A-PRO EDITOR installed and working fine and I can edit settings and parameters on my Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller.
I have XV-5050 Editor installed and working fine with XV-5050.
I have Cakewalk by BandLab installed and working fine with XV-5050.

See attached screenshot.

What do you mean by "nothing" works?
....thank you for your reply..with "nothing works" I mean that none of the sliders, buttons,selecting programs etc in the editor do anything in my xv-5050 ...

My main problem is the A-800 pro driver! I get the driver installation to the point where I have to connect the XV-5050 via USB to the PC...and then nothing happens, no matter how long I wait...