XV-5080/3080 updating OS via midi - "Error: MIDI Receive Block Checksum" - solved

Forum for JD, JV, XP and XV synthesizers from 1990's
NGHF

XV-5080/3080 updating OS via midi - "Error: MIDI Receive Block Checksum" - solved

Post by NGHF »

Hi Clan,

just posting to possibly help someone else, perhaps less experienced, like myself, attempting to upgrade the XV-5080 (ver 1.30)/3080 (ver 1.11) OS via midi. Hope this finds you well.

My reason for updating to ver 1.30 (5080) and version 1.11 (3080) is to be able to access also patches starting from no 129 onwards on pertinent SRX expansion boards (will not work running on lower OS versions).

I have successfully updated my XV-5080 to the latest OS, ver 1.3 via midi transfer after experiencing tremendous problems and repeatedly ending in "Error: MIDI Receive Block Checksum".

***Also make sure to read the "Read me" file attached to the pertinent download on Roland Corporation's support site for "how to"***

This is what possibly went wrong and how I managed to solve the updates:

1 After days of trying in vain, I suggest that disconnecting everything from my midi interface (Germany's ESI, M8UeX) and only leaving the XV-5080 connected (to Port 1) solved this part of the procedure. Using port 1, according to ESI, could be of importance; so consider this if you are using ESI products, or at least the M8UeX.

2 Tip to myself: for future updates/.mid/.syx file transfers I will buy a separate USB-to-MIDI high quality single interface; just to rule-out the likely possibility that failed midi transfers come down to my midi interface set-up

3 Also I skipped the "Q-MIDI" application, suggested by Roland Corporation to be used by Mac-users (I am) and stuck to my Snoize SysEx Librarian; and yes, you can transfer .mid files using this Librarian (no, you should not convert to .syx files).

4 In the Snoize application: I changed the transfer set-up to reflect the "Port 1" connection (rather than "Port 9" where my XV-5080 usually sits). Also, do not forget to change the "pause between played messages" (Preferences/General). I set mine to "9" milliseconds; otherwise the default pause implies loading all 32 .mid files into the XV-5080 took about 18hs (!) using Snoize - only to be met with the same Error message.

5 This also concludes that all of the 32 .mid files, as provided by the official Roland Corporation support site, indeed are functional/not flawed, as proposed by some users on other forums when I was asking for assistance.

6 I played each of the 32 .mid files one by one - did not use "chain play". According to the Read-me file, each of the 32 files must be played in numbered order.

7 The full update requires two procesures to be completed: read the "read-me" file that comes with the download of the 32 .mid files and you will prevail.

Voila! For the first time, my XV-5080 accesses patch number 129 onwards on my newly acquired SRX-09 expansion board.

Rgds,
Nicklas